Late introduction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have frequented Diyaudio for about a year now. I can't rember how I found it. Something broken I think. I am a self taught recording engineer. I buy my gear broken when I can. Sometimes I can fix it, sometimes I can't. My successes are increasing thanks to Diy audio. I the last year I have bought plenty of new recording equipment that turned out to be junk. Through Diyaudio and audiophiles, my recording and mastering has changed dramatically. I bought a Joemeek mic preamp for $700. To my amazement, It was a pretty box with a bunch of caps, ICs, resistors and a transformer. I have almost everything here to build a dozen(except skill, but it's slowly coming). My ultimate goal is to build a modular mixing console of very good quality that is delicate to touch yet near bulletproof. I want it to have transformer channels as well as discrete channels. I would like it to have digital outputs but have analog quality and control.
I know I ask a lot of dumb questions but promise to answer the same questions if ever given the oppourtunity.
You have no idea how greatful I am.
Thanks
Joe

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now, how did you know! :bigeyes:

I know they did. It goes with the terrritory as you know. When acting as a project manager the same thing happens. I am determined the project is completed on time. Subcontractors don't like that too much! :yes: They also know I'll be on site to check on the work often.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:rofl:
That's my current status! Has been for years! :rofl:

Most people here are very down to earth. I respect that in a person. I don't have time to stroke the "other" kind. I suspect you're the same.

So what do your guys call you? (now that we are way OT, appologies to argonrepublic AKA Joe)

-Chris

Yep,

A little training in humility goes a long way. When I was very young; I wanted to be filthy rich. Sometime later I was very tired; I just wanted to be "comfortable". Now I just wish to be; comfortably filthy.

You're alright... let's drink someday!

Welcome Argonrepublic,

You will find all types here. and there are good police here... you will find some very experienced, and some very brilliant here... usually both... just ask and then duck/hide/run for cover...

and then ask (or speak your mind) again.

;) ;) ;) :D

Intro

I really feel at home now. Going to have to do some homework so I can relate better. I am actually an auto mechanic by trade. I tried to get out but it's like a vacuum. I think the most fun I've had since I returned to the shop was when a customer was quoted $600 for a new ECM for their car, I in turn charged them 25 cents for the diode I soldered in. I can't brag. The car was blowing Engine control fuses and wouldn't run. I isolated the short directly to the engine control module, when i opened the case, I saw the cooked diode. After I replaced the diode the problem was gone.I also removed a security system that I believe caused the original problem. They thought I was some kind of electronics whiz. It was good for my ego but that only lasted until I get home. I find Audio electronics very difficult and i've barely gotten my feet wet but I am addicted.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
You did more by troubleshooting than most would. You also used common sense. I like you already!

Audio electronics can be complicated and take a while to understand. If this site was around when I was a young lad I'd have way more knowledge under my belt. As it is, I'm always learning. This is a great place to find things out.

I think you would agree with the statement that it's not the big things that will cause you trouble. It's the little things that will get you every time!

You also got a word in edgewise! Good job!

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.