New from BC Canada.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

New from BC Canada.

My hobby is audio electronics. When I was a student, I built a EL84 PP stereo amplifier for myself and helped to build a mono EL34 PP amp for the PA system of my secondary school. :(

I built most of my own audio electronics:
* Two mono block Mosfet power amplifers, each with six pairs of Hitachi Mosfets.
* A line pre-amp using J-fets.
* A phono amp for MC and MM using J-fets
* An ac power supply for my TD160 turntable.
* DACs using AES 20/21,DF1700P,PCM63P/PCM1702P.:cool:

My previous profession was EE and now I have more time to join this forum and learn more from all of you experts.

The Seven:cool:

Welcome!!!

The more Canadians the better! ;)

Oh, how I miss Vancouver... BC is the best place on earth! :cloud9: The only place better is a BC full of audio hobbyists! :D

Maybe I'll have to come back to UBC for some graduate studies...

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Enjoy...

Dave & DIY fanatics,

Residing in Vancouver BC to be more precisely.:xeye:

My TD160 was migrated from a 50Hz country. So a 50 Hz power supply was designed and built so that it will have the correct rpm in a 60 Hz country as well.

A simple Wien-bridge using opamp (1/2 of 5532) and a pair of low power PNP/NPN transistors driving a step-up ( 10:200) transformer. The dc supply to the opamp and PNP/NPN is +/- 15 volt.

The output frequency is adjusted to 50 Hz by adjusting the R in the RC Wien-bridge. The output voltage is adjusted to 110 volt by adjusting the R in the amplitude-ratio (R-ratio) of the Wien-bridge. The output power is about 1 to 1.5 watt which is enough for the TD160 motor.

The output waveform is as sinusoidal as my signal generator and is very stable. TD160 runs happier with this electronic 50Hz supply than a raw 50 Hz supply. It does give a better sonic effect to my system. :cool:

The Seven :cool:

hifiZen said:
By the way, is your name in reference to the Group of Seven? Maybe the Magnificent Seven? ;) Just curious...

Neither the Seven Dwarfs in Snow White (because of normal size), nor the Manificent Seven ( no guns except soldering gun), nor the Marantz Seven preamp ( I like to own one). Happened to be the 7th child in the family. :cool:

The Seven:confused:

Hi Seven and all,

I am thinking of having a DIY Audio GeekFest at my house in November and just testing the waters to see if anyone is interested.

If we can get a few people together I will put on a Buffet and we can compare soldering iorns etc.

I am in East Vancouver.

Tony D.

Allright! I am sure that we can also count on KDT as well as ThingyNess and I will invite Quest from the Bottlehead board, he is more of a SET kind of guy but he is great to talk to and extremely knowledgable.

I am thinking along the lines of a curry, barbecue, sushi and Philipino Buffet, my girlfriend will supply the Philipino items and I will take care of the rest so food wise just bring your appetites and whatever libations you enjoy.

If anyone wants to bring a project for discussion or demonstration that would be great, I am running single ended only but for balanced gear I am sure we can work something out.

I am thinking of November 23, okay with everyone?

Tony D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.