Looking to enter the Audio world. Need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Brett and im a audioholic. I have been into audio as long as I was able to hear.

I have spent the last 10 or so years in the mobile audio world and have decided to make the move to home. I am a experienced wood worker and will be building my first set of DIY speakers.

Now since I have nothing but raw parts for my speaker project and (shaking head as I write this) my bookshelf system for power.

I am looking for budget minded power and preamp. I dont want surround sound, I dont want thx, honestly I dont want a lot of bells and whistles either. I want raw power and a simple preamp.

I have followed audio for a while so im thinking my best bang for the buck or used to be was Adcom. Is this still true today? Are there other brands geared towards us budget minded? I wouldnt mind, heck I would love tube, but I dont think thats a option with my budget.

Here is a list of needs:
80-100 x 2 at 8ohms(would like the option of 4ohms for future projects)
simple preamp volume is all I truly need, I will deal with processing/eq if needed at a later date.

My budget for amp and preamp is roughly $500-600

Thanks in advance. I feel a little out of place here but this looks to be the best forum :)
Brett

Hello Brett!

Id have to aggree with you that 80-100 watts stereo of tubes is not in your budget off any shelf I know of. 40 watts *2 might be possible in a Dynaco ST 70, or a clone or kit. The Adcoms seem popular on some fora I frequent, but I have no real idea about them.

Not quite off the shelf, but most of the way there, are the Hypex UcD 180 modules, you supply psu and case.

QUOTE:

Looking to enter the Audio world. Need help

Brett, most looking to enter do need help, remember most of the people here do not have license to practice... nor can they prescribe drugs... they can recommend them though.

Welcome & Cheers dude:D

Hi!

Are you looking to build an amp and preamp, or buy one of each for your home-made speakers?

If building, you could make a pass labs bride-of-son-of-zen preamplifier ("bosoz") or (x-bosoz, a more advanced version) on the cheap. look on the pass labs forum for bosoz or x-bosoz, or x-ccs-bosoz.

For a poer amp, a bridge-parallel gainclone would give you the power you wanted, look on the chipamp forum for a gainclone, or a bridge parallel gainclone or a bp gainclone.

Digial amps like Hypex are all the rage as suggested.

If you are lookng to buy some used gear, that's another story. Used Adcoms are ok. Had me a few over the years. there was an old hafler preamp-tuner with remote that I had and it was pretty nice. However, if I was to buy a used amp, i'd ge ta counterpoint SA-100 amp for about $350-400, and an old ARC tube preamp, but that's just me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.