Intro from New York City

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi forum,

Just saying hello, and glad to be part of a great site. Lots of good info, and lots of baloney - but that's what the hobby is all about...
I've been building my own amps for years now, all tubed so far, and reading reading reading! My father is an EE, and was a crazed audiophile in the 70's and 80's - so that's where I got it from, and that's my background.

My system (at the moment!) is a set of Altec 'Flamenco' speakers, 98.8dB sensitivity, driven by my homebrew triode amp. It's got a 6F5 preamp stage, 71A's for power, into Hammond 125ESE transformers. 3/4 wpc, and sounds wonderful.

My next project is a Linsley Hood 10watt solid state amp using 2N3055's. The tubes get a rest!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
WELCOME

Hello Joel,

Welcome aboard!
Didn't know your registration was still hot when we first conversed in the tube section.
I surely love to see you back in that section again.
Really going to build sandamps ?:D

Forgive a tube-o-phile for his sins...;)

See you around,
:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: WELCOME

fdegrove said:
Really going to build sandamps ?:D

Come on fdegrove, sand amps have there place (isn't the glass in your tubes made from sand :^)

Some of them -- usually small & Class A sound quite good. And they are nice for driving the woofers. (there sure seems to be an inverse corralation between the power output of an amp & its quality -- given other stuff equal)

And then there is always the affirmation that the tube amps just do something the silicon can't :D

BTW welcome Joel, sounds like you have some good experience with old tubes...

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
GLASS & AMPERSAND THEN?

Hi Dave,

Come on fdegrove, sand amps have there place (isn't the glass in your tubes made from sand :^)

No offense was meant to Joel,he sure seems to know his sand.;)

You should know me by now Dave,I just don't like Mr.Sandman that puts me to sleep.
Gimme some vinyl,gimme some tube and me happy.

Cheers,:cool:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SAND

Dave,

You got my support.
Not that it is going to be much help building solid state amps,mind you.:D

My experience,a few exceptions apart,is that when you mix ss and tubeamps (say ss for subs,tubes for mid and top) you can tell
the ss device are there.
Very hard to integrate correctly,IMHO.

Happy building,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.