Banned from SteveHoffman forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, how sad a story this must be, i for one feel for this guy
cause i have experienced ban only too well in philosophical
forums, anyway from what ive seen so far, youre a hardcore
objectivist i have high respect for objectivists becuase they
try to catch up in high tech areas of art, as a scientist who
creates art with science i welcome you, i have a lot to learn
from you my friend, cheer up ;)

Usually it is not what you say, but rather the way that you say it.

If you disagree with someone, it is OK to express disagreement and present a case as to why you disagree and even find the flaws in someone else's presentation. But it is rude to enter an argument telling someone that they are liars and what they say is false. No one wants to hear that. Even if you are right and he is wrong.

Enzo said:

If you disagree with someone, it is OK to express disagreement and present a case as to why you disagree and even find the flaws in someone else's presentation. But it is rude to enter an argument telling someone that they are liars and what they say is false. No one wants to hear that. Even if you are right and he is wrong.

it as happened on this forum.but thanks to the moderators who have interviened(check spelling:)) at right time.
most ugly form is racial or ethnic refrences. they must be avoided at all cost 4 they try to hurt the very roots of this great forum.what has race etc to with the intellect?

Enzo said:

...snip..

Indeed, that is the key. Forgetting that other members are human beings and have feelings.

Some of our most memorable food-fights have arisen from knowlegeable members who battle like stags, becoming more and more entrenched in their positions. They are so used to having "the last word" in normal dicussions, that they just can't put it down. This can then degenerate to a personal level argument - which we do not allow:whazzat:

I would think the moderators have the toughest job to play with
here's a scenario
two knowledgeable members are fighting out one gets banned the
other leaves the forum because he thinks the forums is going
down hill

we lost two good members

i think the moderators should think twice before they take action
because a heated discussion has a begining and ending by its
own accord not to mention how entertaining it would be to others

How do you moderate? you do by moderation for example

you show an example of politeness by saying a joke this will
divert the spirits and bring peace

i am not a moderator or even an expert on moderation but it
would be good when things go bad moderators would come in
with jokes to cool things off

cheers

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi mastertech,
I would hazard a guess that most moderation is simply enforcing the rules as evenly as one can.

Personal attacks are one of them. There is a grey area and it is up to the member is define where he is.

Bad language is pretty clear. Since most of us are adults, involking moderation is the members fault. Moderators are the last resort so to speak.

One also has to expect some comments from other members from time to time. An overreaction to this is not helpful to anyone.

So the board is like life. Be an adult and don't break the rules. Otherwise you can expect to talk to a "cop".

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi mastertech,
I would hazard a guess that most moderation is simply enforcing the rules as evenly as one can.

So the board is like life. Be an adult and don't break the rules. Otherwise you can expect to talk to a "cop".

-Chris
The rules are done by common humans, as you or as I; and these, are not necessarily perfect. The rules always are subject to change, mainly in science. If Thomas Alva Edison had not questioned "the rules" of their time, very probably, our houses and cities still would be illuminated with gas lamps.

All the corrupt systems of government in the history; as Hitler, or the Inquisition for example, were protagonists of many innocent deaths and injustices. The doctrine of these systems of government was: Hey man!!!, don't think, don't question, and don't break the rules!!

In this point I believe that Galileo Galilei had been in agreement with me.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When mods make decisions about behavior, we take into account the past actions of the member. A new member might get one stern warning , when an established member might get some bin time.

On the other hand, a member that has for years never offended anyone and then makes one intemperate statement probably just gets a stern warning.

It is clear to me that new members often need a bit of time to understand the tone of this forum. Once they do, they either adapt to our "culture", or get punished and/or leave.

We firmly believe the really quite amazing success of the forum is due to the civil tone and respect required of members, and really this is the predominant rule.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mark,
Yes, absolutely. This board is far more professional and helpful than any other I have seen yet. The amount of knowledge available is astounding. This is due in large part because of the rules and rather high standard of moderation I see here.

This was my original viewpoint and has not changed over the time I have been a member here. I understand there have been trying times, but like a film (poobah) cap, it is self healing. Although we want to make sure the capacity isn't reduced too much.:clown:

In the end it is up to the members as a group to behave themselves.

-Chris

Acid Orange Juice,

Welcome, I share your frustration regarding feedback and how it is routinely dismissed. I have learned much though here as to why this came about. Furthermore, I don't think that discussing it will get you kicked out. The feelings against it here are not so prevalent either.

I believe where feedback has been hurt is in its misapplication. You need a lot of bandwidth to use feedback properly. Sandmen embrace feedback for its virtues and the fact that bandwidth comes easily. Tube guys, steer away from it because coupling caps and trannies work to eat bandwidth up.

You will find the masses to be more pragmatic here... some very hardheaded scientists, engineeers, technicians as well that won't listen to "facts" without proof.

I also think alot of the tube guys are very motivated to avoid feedback because when all is said and done... it IS a pretty d_mn fine accomplishment to get 2-3% (or less) distortion without NFB.

I have yet to build a tube amp as an adult... did so when I was a kid... with a recipe. I am waiting to learn what the real difference is between PP and SE is. I have to wait until the speaker cable gods have been appeased though.

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.