Hi, I am an audio-hobbyist from Karlsruhe (Southern Germany)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...my interest in audio and DIY-electronics goes back until approximately 1961. At that time I was 11 years old. Four years ago I started once again to design audio components. Because I found the 'modern HiFi' rather boringly.

In my focus today are small triode amplifiers and highly sensitive loudspeakers. (e.g. Greencone speakers mounted in special resonant enclosures)

'Retro-Audio-Concepts' are my personal answer on the iPod-hype.

On my homepage I tell something about my philosophy. Unfortunately in german language only. It would be too much work for me to translate all the pages in englisch.

Best Regards, Jo

Hello und willkommen! It took quite a while to find this forum.

Checked your homepage (nice stuff)... but if you tried to write in english you would reach out to the whole world. I have my hiking pages in swedish only because I thought many swedes would read it. According to statisics it's mostly german and dutch people which are interested in Sarek. I noticed also when I acually was there, we met mostly germans! Swedes travels to warmer countries.... so the whole world can only look at the picuters.

Very welcome and we welcome analog enthusiasts, not many around here.

Hi All

Thank you for the friendly welcome and the comments.

@ P-A

Yes, you are right. To make an english website would have been better. I began to write first in German. Then I thought: Ok, I make the English pages later. But later on there were suddenly too many pages. I also do not know this language so well. All I can do is to communicate in simplified english.

@ Cal

... yes, interesting members. As I have seen e.g. Nelson Pass is around here in the forum. I had build the J-Low horn with the Jordan JX driver according to the plan on his website. See picture here: http://www.lebong-audio.de/greencone/test-j-low.jpg

I will develop also a new big horn system with tube active x-over and tube bi-amping. Probably next year.

@ Alex

.. in strasbourg we are quite often. My wife likes to go shopping there and we visit the theatre or the Museum Of Modern Art. I also know Lyon from business contacts.

BTW: I'm a member of another group of audio-maniacs from Paris: 'Mélaudia' (mélomanes et audiophiles associés) www.melaudia.net

@ Tony

A Mexican in Karlsruhe? Nice to read this. I'd like to visit Mexico too, but...

@ dave

Since I was an early adaptor of electronic gimmicks, computer's and all this HiTech-toys for many years (R&D is my normal profession) it is big fun for me to show, that you can reproduce good music (really outstanding good music) with outdated audio concepts. E.g. low power tube amps based on old schematics dating back in the 1930's from e.g. Bell Labs. Vintage Fullrange speakers and so on. This is sometimes a surprise to some folks who do not know this. No - I will never buy an iPod :hot:

Best regards, Jo

Johannes LeBong said:
Yes, you are right. To make an english website would have been better. I began to write first in German. Then I thought: Ok, I make the English pages later. But later on there were suddenly too many pages. I also do not know this language so well. All I can do is to communicate in simplified english.
It's a long way between making yourself understood to a perfect english. Just start doing it and get yourself a good pratice. :idea:

Dictionary is here
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org

A hint: Just check the checkbox "Quote" for everyone you want to quote. You can check more than one at the time.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Johannes LeBong it is big fun for me to show, that you can reproduce good music (really outstanding good music) with outdated audio concepts. E.g. low power tube amps based on old schematics dating back in the 1930's from e.g. Bell Labs. Vintage Fullrange speakers and so on. This is sometimes a surprise to some folks who do not know this.

I don't know that i'd call it outdated. The triode is still the most linear amplifying device we have come up with and a lot of those old full ranges will show a "modern" speaker a thing or two (i make a good part of my living selling those old drivers). It is only outdated in that the whole industry took a wrong turn with the advent of the transistor, and a lot of wonderful tech just got left behind at the fork in the road... a lot of us have gone back & are exploring the other fork.

An iPod jacked into a little SE tube amp driving a set of FRs can be a pretty musical thing (as long as what goes on the iPod is lossless. You can only throw stones at the iPod if you have no digital replay in your system.

dave
planet10/100 CDs (maybe)/5k+ vinyl LPs

Johannes LeBong said:

@ Alex

.. in strasbourg we are quite often. My wife likes to go shopping there and we visit the theatre or the Museum Of Modern Art. I also know Lyon from business contacts.

BTW: I'm a member of another group of audio-maniacs from Paris: 'Mélaudia' (mélomanes et audiophiles associés) www.melaudia.net

Thank you for the link, I didn't know this one.
Are there some nice HiFi or DIY shops in Karlsruhe? I know 1 or 2 places in Strasbourg if you need stuff.

planet10 said:
I don't know that i'd call it outdated. ...

Ok Dave,

let's say a little bit old fashioned (?) in a way.

a lot of us have gone back & are exploring the other fork.

That's nice! And this is also the way I like to go.

BTW: I do not want to throw stones especially on the iPod (this is only one example for digital music processing/listening). But I prefer again today to listen to vinyl records with a minimalistic tube audio chain. Not only vinyl - of course ;)

In fact I have different setups in different rooms for different types of music. I also do not believe in a 'universal speaker'.

a lot of those old full ranges will show a "modern" speaker a thing or two

I agree with you. Maybe two years ago I discovered the so called 'Greencones' (vintage drivers extracted from old SABA-tube-radio-sets). At this point I did not believe they are something special... Now I know they are ranking amongst the very best fullrange drivers one can find.

http://www.lebong-audio.de/reso-beta/greencones.jpg

After making some experiments with these 'Greencones' and with special resonant cabinets (they work like musical instruments) I like this speakers most.

Here I have a picture of some experimental mock ups. Prototypes on the way to alter and improve my RESO-Cabinet design: http://www.lebong-audio.de/reso-beta/farm600.jpg

Best regards, Jo

Bricolo said:
Thank you for the link, I didn't know this one.

Hi Alex,

MELAUDIA has members all over France. May be also in your area (Lyon) I'll meet some of them in December at the 'European Triode Festival' in Langenargen (Germany) where they show 'une installation exemplaire' (The FRENCH System)

Are there some nice HiFi or DIY shops in Karlsruhe? I know 1 or 2 places in Strasbourg if you need stuff.

Thank you. There is no interesting HiFi or DIY shop in Karlsruhe as far as I know.

In general, I build and collect my own things and do not care too much what is sold in a typical HiFi-Shop. We have here in Karlsruhe a small community of audiophiles and some mega-collectors. Gentlemen who own this legendary stuff from Siemens-Klangfilm (big horn installation) vintage Telefunken studio amplification, EMT turntables, Altec VOTTs, Onken, Hiraga Parts, to name a few things.

Is is a great pleasure for me to meet this getlemen from time to time.

Best Regards, Jo

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Johannes LeBong said:
I agree with you. Maybe two years ago I discovered the so called 'Greencones' (vintage drivers extracted from old SABA-tube-radio-sets). At this point I did not believe they are something special... Now I know they are ranking amongst the very best fullrange drivers one can find.

Over here i run across very few of the Saba. I did have a mismatched pair of tweeters (one of which was similar to your picture) and a single oval (i have another oval, but someone doped the cone with something gross)

Over here isophons dominant in terms of availability, but my preference leans towards some of the more obscure Japanese drivers, but it still amazes me how much music can be extracted from even very budget (ie $10) vintage FRs.

From the pictures i'd guess your boxes are a variation on aperiodic loading?

dave

Hi Dave,

it will be no problem, to buy greencones from eBay. You can get a stereo set for approx 100 Euro. That's very cheap! To bring the very best out of this drivers - that's the main effort! And this can make the complete speaker precious and expensive at least.

The easiest way for acceptable results with the Greencones is open baffle.

My latest design - I call it Reso|Beta - is made of thin wood. I call the technical principle 'Distributed-Port'. It is not a simple Helmholtz-Resonator tuned to one frequency. Hard to describe... it harmonizes the sound and flattens the frequency response (this was proved with a professional analyzer)

A cabinet like this cannot be calculated exactly - it is more like a matter of trial and error, experience and good luck. I'm very happy with this.

Best regards, Jo

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Johannes LeBong said:
t will be no problem, to buy greencones from eBay. You can get a stereo set for approx 100 Euro. That's very cheap!

It is, but still way beyond my means at the moment... and i have no shortage of projects already in the queue.

My latest design - I call it Reso|Beta - is made of thin wood. I call the technical principle 'Distributed-Port'. It is not a simple Helmholtz-Resonator tuned to one frequency. Hard to describe...

pictures?

dave

planet10 said:
It is, but still way beyond my means at the moment... and i have no shortage of projects already in the queue.

:) I know this - the same over here.

pictures?

http://www.lebong-audio.de/reso-beta/index.htm (Sorry - in German language only)

This 'musical-instrument-speaker' has two chambers of different size inside which are connected by an inner acoustically tuned port. The chambers are damped with a 'Mikrofaser' filled absorber. (I do not know the english expression - it is a kind of synthetic wool)

On the back and at the bottom the cabinet has several ports. The wood is kept under permanent tension like the wooden body of a Cello e.g.

Best regards, Jo

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Johannes LeBong said:
This 'musical-instrument-speaker' has two chambers of different size inside which are connected by an inner acoustically tuned port. The chambers are damped with a 'Mikrofaser' filled absorber. (I do not know the english expression - it is a kind of synthetic wool)

On the back and at the bottom the cabinet has several ports. The wood is kept under permanent tension like the wooden body of a Cello e.g.

Are the ports damped at all... the boxes certainly are pretty. The tensioning of the wood is quite akin to how i design my boxes.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.