Hello from Yateley, England - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2005, 06:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hello from Yateley, England

Hi,

I studied Electronic engineering at Leicester Poly (now DeMontford University) in the mid 70's and have worked in all sorts of branches of electronics including underwater acoustics, motorsport and toys.

My biggest claim to fame is a toy for Hasbro, that was tied to the Star wars Episode 1 film: the hand held communicator which played lines from characters in the film when you waved their corresponding tag over it. Over 32 million fgures/tags were sold. The product was called Commtech in the USA, Commtalk in the UK.

Now (since 2001) I am doing my best to save the planet by working on a Redox flow-cell energy storage system.

My first Hi-Fi system comprised:

2x100WPC power amp built using modules from Crimson Elecric
70's Nicco tuner-amp used as preamp
Thorens TD150+ SME3009 (I Think?) + Ortophone cartridge
Mordant Short Pageant speakers

In 1989 or thereabouts I was fortunate to swap the above plus cash for:

LP12 + Ittock + K18
MF P3AX
2 x MF P140 (ie Bi-amp setup)
Spendor SP2/2
Rotel 850 tuner

I have since replaced the cartridge with a Summito Blue Point Special since replacement styli for the K18 are not available.

I was very happy with this lot until I succumbed to demands from the kids (3 off) to add a CD so I bought an Arcam A7 secondhand. Unfortunately this was demonstrated to me with IPL S3mtl ribbons and a MF Nu-Vista M3. I could not believe how good it sounded!

So I am fairly determined to build a pair of Mr Leslie’s speakers and get a new amp possibly second hand M3 or maybe the A5 which is supposed to be better at half the price (???).

I have been reading a lot about active crossovers and am tempted to try a Linkwitz-Riley design with the Spendors in the mean time. (Encouraged by that nice Mr Rod Elliot)
I am also wondering about making a set (or two) of John "Zaph" Krutke’s Hi-Vi B3S Single Driver units for the TV etc.

Anyway, nice to be here and please bear with me when I start asking what may you may think are silly questions!
Old 2nd November 2005, 06:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Hello from Yateley, England

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter_commtech

Now (since 2001) I am doing my best to save the planet by working on a Redox flow-cell energy storage system.

We already have one! It's verra naaahs!

Francois, now go away or I shall taunt you again!
Old 3rd November 2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Peter,

Welcome to the forums. Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what the forums are about. There are lots of really good people here that can handle even the most challenging questions.

Keep us abreast of your projects.

Cal
Old 3rd November 2005, 02:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

What Cal said. Yr 'Umble Narrator has even been known to crunch a number or two between Monty Python quotes. Welcome.

Francois.

Hide this!Advertise here!