Greetings from KS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I'm a complete DIY audio noob. I stumbled across this forum while researching how to fix an older Onkyo stereo amp that I have. It looks like this board is full of many nice and knowledgeable people!

A little bit about myself... I'm a Junior level Comp. Engineering major @ KU. Interests include computers, music, movies, and cars(RX-7's in particular!). I listen to mostly rock music, alternative rock, etc. I thoroughly enjoy live music though I am, unfortunately, musicly untalented. ;) The last live show I saw was Coheed and Cambria about a week ago here in Lawrence.

My current audio equipment includes a Rio Karma 20GB MP3 player and a set of Audio-Technica A500's that I use at work mostly. At home I run my PC through an Onkyo A-10(Circa ~1979 I believe?) and some big old magnavox floor speakers. There's something wrong with the A-10 as the sound cuts out in the left channel sometimes and I have to mess with the input selector and balance to make it come back. So my first project is to fix that and after that I think I might put together a CMoy or some other small headphone amp. I'm comfortable with a soldering iron and have a basic understanding of electrical circuits through the low level classes I've taken so far.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi ricochet,

You seem to have just what it takes to become a good diyer.

As for your Onkyo, I would start looking at corroded switches and dirty pots. A tiny bit of contact cleaner could do wonders.
I that doesn't help, you still have the solid state forum to post your problem.

/Hugo :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.