Hello all - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2005, 06:37 AM   #1
Arc is offline Arc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hello all

Hi guys my name is alex and im from orlando, fl. Origionaly from the UK. Im interested in building a set of loudspeakers. Pretty new to the site, is there anyplace on here for basic tuts and stuff.

Thanks
Old 20th September 2005, 07:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hey Alex: greetings glad to be the first on to do so. My name is Moray James. Are you looking to build a multi driver speaker or a full range set up or high efficiency or perhape an electrostatic? Give us an idea and I am sure there will be lots to look at. All the best for now regards Moray James.
Old 20th September 2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Arc is offline Arc  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok since I'm pretty new at this I don't really understand high-efficiency more than the name or the electrostatic setup..(you may laugh now..). I have worked on cars as a hobby so i understand teh others. Right now I believe it will be a multidriver system, but i dont know if the would be FR? Noob.

I am currently looking at adire's stuff, their 6.8 Extremis and their 3" mids. I was thinking of doing a system with 2 of each with a tweeter or two. I don't know if this would work so...

I don't quite understand when I need a external amp or XO so I am starting to read alot now.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Old 20th September 2005, 05:06 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arc
so I am starting to read alot now.
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forums. What you said about reading is a heck of a start. It will help make things a lot easier to understand when you start asking technical questions. It's amazing just how technical the seemingly simple loudspeaker can be.

If you haven't done it before, it might be wise to consider a kit. It can be a little more expensive than starting from scratch but the ground work has been done for you, while still allowing a hands on approach.

How big can they be?

What size of amp do you have?

What size of room, how loud, what style of music?

There are many things to consider before deciding on what components might suit you best.

Anyway, hope your journey is a smooth one.

Cal

Hide this!Advertise here!