Helllo from Ky

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi , first I want to thank the people here who took the time to answer questions I had that probably seemed to most here as basic as what's the button that says power on it for .Pretty bad I know , but with reason .To explain future questions or comments from myself that may leave a few scratching their heads , I was in a motorcycle wreck that took the use of my left arm , shattered my left knee and for the most part lost my memory of the first 20 years of my life , bits and pieces still pop up now and then .Just so happens those years also included most of the knowledge of electronics I had , I still remember enough that I wont get fried touching the wrong things but things that seem basic to others have faded away , so now as a form of self rehab I'm trying to get back into electronics .What I knew before came from hands on under an actual expert in the field and not from books so I don't even have books to fall back on now and he has since passed away .The public library in this little town has 1 book on electronics which is on repairing stoves and irons and such dated from the late 70's so not much help there either , so this forum and google is my refrence library .
Thanks
Timothy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Timothy,

Glad you joined the forums. Hope this is a good type of learning and theraputic experience for you. Not to get too personal but when did you have your crash and is your memory improving or returning over time? I am interested because I suffered a head injury quite a number of years ago that affects me to this day.

I think I speak for all on board by wishing you success in your endeavours and I'd like to assure you that there are no dumb questions. Ask away.

Looking forward to your future posts,

Cal

Cal ,I had the wreck several years ago 1988 to be exact , spent several years getting back into jewelry design and repair sorta put electronics on the back burnner a doctor told me I'd never be able to do jewelry work again , only use of 1 hand , so just *had* to prove him wrong . To the point now I can do just about any jewelry work with 1 hand , just not alot of people beating down my door , for some reason people are scared to hand over a diamond ring to be fixed to a guy with only 1 hand that works , many have said I couldn't do anything with 1 hand so you cant either ,I have my own casting setup , can do any repairs , except platnium never tried that . I still have memory problems , alot of them . unless I wrire something down odds are it will be gone in a week or less , unless I use the info immediatly then I tend to retain it more than usual.So to get back into electronics I think may help that problem a little too , I'm permanitly disabled *and bad speller also* and cant get employment anywhere many aches and pains that will be with me forever that also inhibits employment , so instead of just passing time and taking care of my 2 girls I had to come up with something to do to keep my sanity so back to electronics and the stack og non working items in the building outback .
Thanks for the link Magura

Hey Timothy

Welcome to the forum. Who needs books anyway (well for the most part at least) - but seriously I think there are alot of things you will find on this forum that you will not find in books. I wish you a great experience here and hope you find lots of projects that interest you.

I have the same problems with my memory - except I have no excuse - that reminds me I must try to find one ;)

Ross

Cal ,
I'm a lone guy in a home with 3 females .The only thing saving me so far is the hormones and things such as boys have not started yet .My oldest is in 4th grade and will turn 9 on the 25th of this month , she is learning to play guitar which is why I'm trying to get the amp going for her that is in the question I posted in the solid state area here.My youngest is in first grade and will turn 7 in april .
Byrd,
yep I didn't have books the first time around but did have a great mentor that could do amazing things with anything electrical . I've talked to the only guy around here that did tv , vcr , stereo repairs now only does tv repair on tvs over 25 inches and sales of new stuff and sorta mentioned helping him out in exchange for the knowledge I'd gain *free labor for him* but the reaction was I believe of fear I was trying to learn this to take his business away so still on my own except for the internet .
The way it looks I might have to try to find a project such as a small 10 to 15 watt amp to put in the amp case I have for her guitar . Any plans for a simple easy and cheap to build small amp floating around here ?

Lol, well I have seen many kits which has all the components included online, you might want to look into those... For one a young girl is not going to worry too much about sound quality....
On the other hand, you are a cruel dad to let a young girl learn to play on a steel string guitar, nylon is much kinder on the fingers until the calouses grow in.

As for the memory thing, I had a similar thing happen to me, ( I still have all my arms and leggs,) but for some reason I got A.S. shortly after the accident...
Anyway the day before the accident I ordered like $2000 dollars worth of components to build a computer, after I got back home from the hospital, I had to phone a friend to come and assemble it for me, as my brain could in no way comprehend the PC... which is funny as I have built tonnes of them before then. Anyway, its about 7 years down the line now, and I'm quite good at anything PC again, still can't remember the accident or even driving though....

Naw , not that cruel of a dad got her an ibanez acoustic electric guitar with the medium weight nylon strings to start with .I will say she has a pretty good grasp on what quality sound is and wanted to start out with a better quality guitar that took longer to get than a cheap one just to get it sooner .She thought she was buying it herself ,figured it would make her put more into learning to play and take better care of it after she had saved enough I bought it for her and let her keep her money , still has it even .We found this one which she can handle , thinner than just an acoustic one , lighter than an electric and will last her for a long time since it is a real guitar and not just a walmart special ,sounds good as is but everyone wants that little extra an amp will add .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.