problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Ricky is offline Ricky  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default problem

Hi guys. My name is Ricky. I am an acoustic engineer but I have decided to branch out in to electronics.

My problem is this!!!. I have designed and built a valve pre that sounds great into a linear amplifier but I need toproduce 6.6 p.t.p into a class D power amplifier. I know I need a cathode follower but has anyone any ideas how I do this???. The load impedance is 10Kohms. I need a feed at around 500 to 1K. HELP???. Loudspeakers are easy compared with this!.
Old 13th September 2005, 04:27 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Ricky,

Welcome to the forums.

If you haven't already, I recommend you post this question over in the Tubes or Class D section. You'll probably get a better response there.

Cal

Edit: Thanks leadbelly
Old 13th September 2005, 08:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
My problem is this!!!. I have designed and built a valve pre that sounds great into a linear amplifier but I need toproduce 6.6 p.t.p into a class D power amplifier. I know I need a cathode follower but has anyone any ideas how I do this???. The load impedance is 10Kohms. I need a feed at around 500 to 1K.
Probably better off in the Tube forum as you are asking about tubes....but I don't really understand your problem. You need to feed a Class D power amp with 6.6V PTP and a 10K load impedance? Just the voltage stage in your tube pre should be able to handle that alone. Why do you need to add a cathode follower to get a lower impedance output?
Old 14th September 2005, 07:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanksfor the reply. Although not the greatest Electronics engineer in the world, logical thinking told me that I should have been able to do this off the pre board but you get told all sorts of things whenyou ask questions, don't you?.

Many thanks.

Ricky.
Old 16th September 2005, 08:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: problem

[Hi.

First of all, many thanks for your input. The reason for the cathode follower is that there are 5 input stages of varying gain. These in turn go via the selector switch to a summing stage. I don't like forever turning the volume knogb up and down. Everything should be the same at a refernce frequency ( i.e. 1KHz).

The pre is finished, the power amp is finished and went out on audition yesterday. The results were incredible. The sytem used was mine, plus a Copland CD player and a pair of Pro-ac Response 3.8's. Normally, this guy gives you 10 minutes. I had 2 hours and I've got to go back because "I've got something very special (?????). Can't be that far wrong. Doesn't sound like a valve, a linear or a class D. Something on it's own. I'm chuffed. Thanks again.

Ricky.

Hide this!Advertise here!