35 years ago I built a Dynaco kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to everyone,

I built some Dynaco kits in 1970 and got one back this year. Unfortunately I got the PAT-4 preamp from my brother's estate. I had forgotten about Dynaco kits and the A10 speakers. Later (I think it was late '70 or '71) I had built an FM-5 and an SCA-80 powering the original Advent speakers with an AR turn table for LP's. All these memories started me searching and I found this very interesting and lively forum.

Incidental to the unexpected return of the PAT-4 I had some other experience with DIY audio...

Last year, for reasons not clear to me now, I decided my ham radio station need better audio. So I built an audio amp for my 12 bus (the Velleman car amp) and added a pair of inexpensive kit speakers from Parts Express. I was very surprised at the audio quality of these simple and inexpensive kits (or perhaps I was acustomed to Lo Fi). Surely there was room for improvement and perhaps there were more DIY folks around than I expected. After a short time on the web I found there was an amasing amount of activity and I had only scratched the surface. I am looking forward to digging deeper.

Finally, my brother left me two Eico HF-22 tube amps (both are DOA and will need a complete rebuild) and a Carver Sonic Hologram Preamp/Amp. The latter does some very interesing things to stereo...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I built the Dynaco solid state integrated. I forced my girlfriend solder it- to "empower " her. She actually enjoyed it, I got over this tendency later ;) I also used Advent speakers, and torn between the AR and a Pioneer PL-12 ended up getting the Pioneer turntable since it was less fussy to use. While the AR is considered a classic, the PL-12 is also considered to have been a decent 'table. I remember realy enjoying listening to that setup, even thought the amp would not be considered anything special....

Welcome to the site...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.