Greetings from Leicester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
my name is Ken, and I have been working with electronics for about 35 years ( still blow things up!).
Your site looks very useful, as I recently came across a few Compaq TFT500 mons that are duff cause the backlights are worn out ( older hot cathode bulbs, which of course you can't buy now a days). I hope to have a go at trying to strip one of these down for projection use.
I also came across a pair of Eminence 15" speakers rated at 500W RMS and 800W RMS in a second hand shop for a very reasonable price. I am looking for an interesting enclosure design that will make the most of them.
Cheers Ken;)

Hi Ken,
welcome to the forums!
Or should we call you Budvar? Dangerous nick as we might think you are a binge-drinker.;) ;)
I was only once in Leicester but remember (the 2 hours) well
as we specifically drove there to have a chicken mentara in the Akash Tandoori. A friend of mine said they are not what they used to be but still it was one the best dishes I had.
Ah, almost forgot : you found the right place for all your audio/video-DIY demands so enjoy.
And check the WAF (wife-acceptance-factor) before you build an enclosure for those big woofers.

greets

Hi Joensd and Planet10

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies, nice to feel welcome.
I chose the name Budvar, cause was out working in the Chezk Republick doing some train tests. At night we went to the local Night club, as you do, and a round of 5 beers was cheap, I handed over a note worth about £2 and got change!. I think this is where Budweisser originated from, Budvar is stronger and not as sweet .
Thanks for the sugestion about the speakers, I will get the data on them, and look in that forum. They are impressive, I got them really to show my son what 'real watts' sound like. He has friends with these 1000W PMPO computer speakers, and kept saying how loud they were. I coupled these 15" babies up to a moderate 50W stero amp, and let him turn it up. I think he is now convinced !.
I look forward to more chats in the forums,
Cheers Ken

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Welcome to the forum, Budvar. There's a long-running dispute between Anheuser-Busch (who make that awful American muck called "Budweiser") and Budweiser-Budvar who make real beer. The two companies were once linked, but no longer. In their typically American way, AB want total control of the Budweiser name and are doing their level best to bankrupt Budweiser-Budvar by continually plaguing them with frivolous lawsuits that cost money to defend. If you wish, you can think of drinking a pink of Budweiser-Budvar as a vote against corporate greed rather than merely enjoying a good beer. The more votes, the merrier.

EC8010 said:
(who make that awful American muck called "Budweiser")

It's not even thick enough to be called muck. It's more like beer flavoured soda water. They also call it the king of beers. Heck it's not even good enough to be the queen of beers. More like the joker of beers. It's all rice with a only a slight dusting of barley so they can list it as an ingredient.

And yet it sells...

I guess there will always be things that amaze.

Oh, and by the way, welcome Ken. Keep us up on the progress of the speakers.

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.