First time caller, long time listener...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just like to say hi from the UK. I've been bouncing around the AV and Loudspeaker forums for some time, and have finally taken the time to say hi.

Currently setting up a small loudspeaker design company in old Blighty, using the excellent Jordan JX92s for our monitors - below is an image of the first prototype to give you a little taster...

Attachments

• stand-photo.jpg
    stand-photo.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 213
Guys thanks for the hello's.

planet10

In answer to your question, the size and thickness of the wooden sphere makes it very stiff, which so far has stopped any problems with it resonating.

I was concerned in the early stages with using a real wood, however many people who I've discussed the design with, particularly those designing very expensive esoteric loudspeakers [many times the size and cost of mine] use woods like walnut, oak and Epée to brace as it is often stiffer than MDF.

Eventually we decided to suck it and see, and we were all relieved with he results.

I'm hoping to set up an e commerce site soon, and don't see any reasons shipping to the US. If you could get enough people interested it would greatly reduce the costs of shipping to !

kind regards

Adam

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
smallangryboy said:
In answer to your question, the size and thickness of the wooden sphere makes it very stiff, which so far has stopped any problems with it resonating.

I was actually inquiring about the strong standing-wave resonance that builds up in the centre of the enclsore

I'm hoping to set up an e commerce site soon, and don't see any reasons shipping to the US. If you could get enough people interested it would greatly reduce the costs of shipping to !

There is a company in the US which claims a patent on something to do with spherical enclosures -- you might want to check up on them to avoid crossing their path -- their patent may not hold any water, but anytime there may be lawyers ...

dave

Ah right I get you !

First, the internal layout is not a perfect sphere, the rear is flattened and the driver at the front 'slices off' some of the sphere so it isn't really a problem.

Second, the internal surface isn't finished like the exterior and is left rough, and finally the insides are hand coated using a sealant, which helps to break up any smooth reflective surface.

I'd be interested in checking out the US patents, do you have more details on the company that holds them, or the designs they apply to ?

I've also just re read my really poor grammar in the last post - I should say it's NOT a problem shipping to the US at all !

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
smallangryboy said:
I'd be interested in checking out the US patents, do you have more details on the company that holds them, or the designs they apply to ?

Here are the guys
http://www.usenclosure.com/

there was a lot of traffic on the basslist about 4 years ago... much of it bashing the guy (i didn't really follow the thread)

Reading their company history, they say there technology is patentable, not that it is patented. Any IP, i would guess, would do with their process, not the spherical end product in itself.

Well worth knowing about as background anyway...

dave

Website is up

Our website is finally up and running here at 8 ball audio Hopefully I will soon have more photos of the Highball loudspeakers, and once we have everything in place, you will be able to order these items online, that is if anyone is interested in them of course :)

Everything is handbuilt, low volume, made to order, which is refelcted in the cost. We hope to maintian a high level of quality, and for people to basically really enjoy listening and looking at our products.

One of our strong design goals is that they had to pass the wife friendly test, without any sort of compromise on sound and build quality. We hope we have achieved this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.