First time caller, long time listener... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2005, 10:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First time caller, long time listener...

Just like to say hi from the UK. I've been bouncing around the AV and Loudspeaker forums for some time, and have finally taken the time to say hi.

Currently setting up a small loudspeaker design company in old Blighty, using the excellent Jordan JX92s for our monitors - below is an image of the first prototype to give you a little taster...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stand-photo.jpg (44.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 11th March 2005, 12:35 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I could swear that I've seen these in "Rendezvous with Rama."

Welcome to the madhouse, sab!
Old 11th March 2005, 01:42 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome...

Cute speaker... how do you deal with the internal resonance of a sphere?

Do you plan to sell those in the US?

dave
Old 11th March 2005, 08:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Guys thanks for the hello's.

planet10

In answer to your question, the size and thickness of the wooden sphere makes it very stiff, which so far has stopped any problems with it resonating.

I was concerned in the early stages with using a real wood, however many people who I've discussed the design with, particularly those designing very expensive esoteric loudspeakers [many times the size and cost of mine] use woods like walnut, oak and Epée to brace as it is often stiffer than MDF.

Eventually we decided to suck it and see, and we were all relieved with he results.

I'm hoping to set up an e commerce site soon, and don't see any reasons shipping to the US. If you could get enough people interested it would greatly reduce the costs of shipping to !

kind regards

Adam
Old 11th March 2005, 08:58 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by smallangryboy
In answer to your question, the size and thickness of the wooden sphere makes it very stiff, which so far has stopped any problems with it resonating.
I was actually inquiring about the strong standing-wave resonance that builds up in the centre of the enclsore

Quote:
I'm hoping to set up an e commerce site soon, and don't see any reasons shipping to the US. If you could get enough people interested it would greatly reduce the costs of shipping to !
There is a company in the US which claims a patent on something to do with spherical enclosures -- you might want to check up on them to avoid crossing their path -- their patent may not hold any water, but anytime there may be lawyers ...

dave
Old 11th March 2005, 05:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ah right I get you !

First, the internal layout is not a perfect sphere, the rear is flattened and the driver at the front 'slices off' some of the sphere so it isn't really a problem.

Second, the internal surface isn't finished like the exterior and is left rough, and finally the insides are hand coated using a sealant, which helps to break up any smooth reflective surface.

I'd be interested in checking out the US patents, do you have more details on the company that holds them, or the designs they apply to ?

I've also just re read my really poor grammar in the last post - I should say it's NOT a problem shipping to the US at all !
Old 11th March 2005, 06:19 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default sphere patents

Would it be Joseph Gallo?
Old 11th March 2005, 08:01 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by smallangryboy
I'd be interested in checking out the US patents, do you have more details on the company that holds them, or the designs they apply to ?

Here are the guys
http://www.usenclosure.com/

there was a lot of traffic on the basslist about 4 years ago... much of it bashing the guy (i didn't really follow the thread)

Reading their company history, they say there technology is patentable, not that it is patented. Any IP, i would guess, would do with their process, not the spherical end product in itself.

Well worth knowing about as background anyway...

dave
Old 11th March 2005, 08:09 PM   #9
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks cute. Is that polished natural wood finish then? I'd love to see more pictures.
Old 11th March 2005, 08:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

tiroth

Yes natural wood finish, I'll get some more photos up as soon as I can, as my amateurish photography isn't quite up to scratch !

Hide this!Advertise here!