Welcome a new member from D.C.!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I've been out of the loop for about two years but I'm coming back to hi-fi now that I have a few nickels to rub together and a little more space.

I've done a few projects, NHT 1259 sub, Zalytron speaker kit, passive attenuator/source selector, speaker cables and IC's.

My next project will be designing my own speakers thanks to the wonders of active XO's!

I've joined this site after being turned off by audioasylum, the interface is antiquated and all DIY stuff is lumped in one place.

Currently i have...

Wal-mart DVD player
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 DAC
DIY stepped attenuator passive pre
Adcom GFA 535II amp
Ohm Micro Walsh Tall speakers

All hooked up with CAT5 speaker cables and Belden coax wire IC's

Looking forward to participating in a nice, active forum with lots of good brains in one place!

Septimus said:
All hooked up with CAT5 speaker cables and Belden coax wire IC's
I am new here, too. So here is my first newbie question:
What do you mean by CAT5 (category twisted pair cabling) & Belden coax? Do you really use 75 ohm coax for audio? The twisted pair for balanced line or mic level audio is a great idea (irrelevant for unbalanced) & will outperform just about anything out there (here come the golden ear tweakers). But the coax befuddles me.
Thanks!

belden

I used the belden 89259 coaxial cable to make IC's with. I'm not sure if its 75 ohm or not, but they sounded great! Do a seach here or on google and you will get many hits about it. Also, i used CAT5 cable, stripped down to its individual pairs then braided 3 pairs together, cut in 1/3's, braid those 3 together, cut in 1/3's again, braid those three together, then at the end you take the solid colors and make that positive, and the striped colors neg.

Re: belden

Septimus said:
Also, i used CAT5 cable, stripped down to its individual pairs then braided 3 pairs together, cut in 1/3's, braid those 3 together, cut in 1/3's again, braid those three together, then at the end you take the solid colors and make that positive, and the striped colors neg.
Why use category cables for unbalanced audio?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: belden

Septimus said:
I Also, i used CAT5 cable, stripped down to its individual pairs then braided 3 pairs together, cut in 1/3's, braid those 3 together, cut in 1/3's again, braid those three together, then at the end you take the solid colors and make that positive, and the striped colors neg.

Man are you going to have fun with some of the threads you'll find here.

Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.