This time it´s from Old Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all U prisoners of the perfect sound,

Looking for the "perfect sound" for two years now and lacking money for my hobby, I am interested in tube amplifiers although not being completely convinced about them. :nod:

On my search I found the ZEN Amp somewhere in the internet. :spin:

Definitely creeping around in the mid-HiEnd area I've been loving music and listening to it for now about 15 years! I listen only to digital and my musical taste is almost everything such as Jazz, World Music, and Classical (Harp, Flute, Horns, Strings, and Piano), except Hard Rock (only a little).

For the moment my system is chaotic, remaining my T+A 1500 CD-Player, which beat every other player that I was able to lend for a listening test (German brands audionet and symphonic line, electrocompaniet, burmester, etc), even with my "minor" Creek 4140 amplifier. Advantage: the player can be connected directly to the power amp, because I don´t listen to other sources.:smash:

Left is the surround system with the main speakers I use as well for stereo purposes. Dynaudio Contour T2.5/T2.1 and back 1.1 with a Yamaha YST-800 sub.
Cinch I found Funk Tonstudiotechnik A-62 as the best (compared even to XXX EUR/m) -give it a try! :wave:
Surround is running with HK5550 and its DVD 30 just for fun and my old favourite HK7725. :bawling:

Right now I have carried out some minor horn projects just for fun, but I like listening to them very much. Next month I am starting the Jericho Horn hoping that it brings even better sound. :scratch:

Looking for an amplifier (power amplifier), that will fit (to whatever). :confused:

In this board I'm looking forward to finding more information about the perfect horn speaker (WAF is not important, only transport weight, because I have to bring them upstairs form the building to the listening room) :scratch2:

Best Regards,

Jens

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Deckert´s Zen

jericho said:
I like the simpleness of the Decware Amp!

Welcome to the forum...

My good buddy went thru a couple ZENs and is now using a clone i call evoZen -- quite an improvement over the original. Built from mostly recycled parts it was quite inexpensive.

they are parafeed monobloks with triode strapped EF86 driver tubes... the only real relation to the ZEN is the outpit tube and that it evolved from a "close as he could get it" clone of the ZEN.

I was the fortunate recipient of the penultimate stereo version -- tossed in my own iron, and i've got a nice little Mulligan (ZEN clone)

dave

@ Planet10

What would be an easy-to-build, easy-to-get-information-about-amplifier?

I dont´have the time and leisure to learn how to calculate and construct a power amplifier.

I rather would like to just copy one. Just buy the necessary things and start soldering.

I think about monos!

Any recommendations?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is what i'm running now -- its got a salvaged Grundig Power trafo, and a set of Magnavox OPTs.

One channel drawn -- it is a stereo amp.

dave

Attachments

• dave-mulligan-map.gif
    dave-mulligan-map.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 200
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Amplifier DIY

jericho said:
But I feel unsure about the transformers and stuff.

Being a Frugal-phile(tm) and not cash rich i'm always using recycled iron from old tube kit. Most often this comes from old consoles i've gotten primarily to mine for their speakers.

In the case of the EL84 you need 5-10k primamry OPTs & about 80 mA/channel for the B+ which needs to end up at 250-275 V at the plate of the EL84. (actual draw from the tubes is just over 40 mA -- i like having a margin).

A good place to go look up tube data is http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.