Need Advice about repairing a Marantz 1200DC Audio Amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello from Beautiful British Columbia. This looks like a very interesting site. I'm glad I found it.
What I am looking for is advice and directions.
I have a 1978 Marantz 1200DC stereo audio amp which needs a new volume control. The part number on the original dual ganged pot is (I think) SRM05030670 M 50K ohms BX2 and the other number on it is 3823 A.
It is an unusual shaped unit and, really, it seems to have been the part which Marantz went cheap on to save money.
I'm told that no-one makes these any more, but since I started looking around the web tonight, I'm sure that someone makes something that could be used in place of the original, even if I have to run some jumper wires to the PCB. By the looks of it, the DIY and high end audio crowd has prompted some manufaturers to supply much better components than was available in the late 1970's, with gold plated everythings for 0.00001% THD. Unbelievable specs, that.
If anyone knows what I should do next, I'll be grateful.
The other alternative to repairing is to build a new amp from scratch, perhaps.
Or do both!
My experience: Not much. High school electricity and electronics from the good old tube days, have built a few kits (Radio Shack radio and a 4-channel distortion box project), but neither worked...I learned about cold soldering afterwards when I started a correspondance course to become an electronics technician. (I got good marks but I never finished it: life got in the way.)

Thanks in advance to any who respond to this intro.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.