HPotter is leaving the stage. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2002, 03:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default HPotter is leaving the stage.

I didn't introduce myself the first time, and it seems like I don't need introduction now anyway. Most of you have seen my posts and you know what I am all about.

I am not really crazy about designing new circuits and experimenting with them; if I have to do it, I'll do it, but I much prefer the construction side of any project.

That's why I usually use proven designs and by using good quality parts and clever mechanical construction, I try to turn them into something even better. Over the years I've learned that every single part counts and simplicity is the way to better sound.

My background is in mechanical engineering and I hold Electronics Engineering Technician Diploma (which is actually good for nothing ). I work as a sheet metal and structure technician contractor for Aviation and since the money is so good I can spend at least 6 months a year at home.

My time then, is usually spend on equipment building, because as far as I remember I was always into Audio. For me it's not a hobby anymore, but rather an obsession. So nobody should be really surprised about the stuff I create. With my bacground, experience and all free time it's nothing really special.

The one thing that triggered the change of name on the Forum was that I got new provider (wide band connection finally) and new email addres. The other one, since I post so much of my personal work, I might as well do it under my real name. I hope you not gonna blame me for that.

Peter Daniel
aka HPotter
phdaniel@sympatico.ca
Old 28th July 2002, 03:30 PM   #2
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Working 6 months a year

Could you elaborate on your work schedule?

Is that working 4 hours a day everyday just like everybody else?
Or is it every other month off?
Or is it take time off whenever you feel like it just so long as you have a total of 6 months working hours? You must have deadline to meet just like every other profession. So probably your schedule is not that flexible?

I wish I could work like that (say 3 months off) even if the pay is not that great.
Old 28th July 2002, 03:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's more like taking time off whenever you feel like it. For example, my last contract in Stokholm, Sweden ended in October 30 last year, and I didn't pick anything up untill this July when I started working for Bombardier in Montreal. It all depends how much money you want to make, but when I come home, the longer I stay, the harder for me is to go on a road.
When I'm working, my usual week consists of 85 and up hours and the pay is better than you work from home (since the agency compensates your time away from family). So, if you are not greedy you can afford 6 months of not working and enjoy whatever you like to do best. You already know what I like.
Old 28th July 2002, 03:59 PM   #4
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds great!

You probably don't get to listen as much as you like to if you work 85 hours a week! And not to mention the preferred gear that you would like to listen to if you're away from home! That must be painful!

My guess is you probably have your little ZEN (and may be a mini pair of high definition speakers - which you have not mentioned so far) in your backpack whenever you have to travel.
Old 28th July 2002, 04:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually, I take that. It's the best portable I've heard. The components came from Panasonic, integrated amp is Blaupunkt, the inclosure made by me. The simple crossover in the speakers (a single 10u Hovland cap for tweeter) and sturdy MDF cabinet make all the difference when you compare it to cheap commercial units.
I don't really miss music when I'm away, because I know I can appreciate it more when I'm back.

HPotter
doesn't want to leave the stage
(I don't have photo software installed
on the other computer yet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg port.jpg (35.9 KB, 3052 views)
Old 28th July 2002, 06:57 PM   #6
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Goodbye HPotter, hello Peter Daniel!
I knew you where obsessed with DIY audio (nothing wrong with that) but knowing how much work it is to make one of your chassis I was curious how did you have the time to do it. Now it all makes sense
Very interesting life you've got, I am surprised that you still like to cut down aluminum sheets for a hobby after doing that to make a living.

I too enjoy the practical aspect much more than the design. I can be a little more adventurous now that I can afford to blowup a few components from time to time but let's face it what are the chances of me designing a better amp than Nelson?
Old 28th July 2002, 10:00 PM   #7
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Dude I can rename you in the back-end if you like... which will change all your post names and keep your thread count... Actually I should extend this offer to everyone 'for a limited time', huh
Old 29th July 2002, 12:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jason for an offer, it's very tempting, but I think the past shouldn't be changed.
A lot of people assosiate me with that name and I kind of got used to it too. One reason to keep continuity, I placed my picture in avatar (which seems not so popular, if not counting many logos which started to appear recently).
When it comes to thread count, I'm not really crazy about it (although some people left the Forum because they didn't want to be labelled Neophyte) and I almost passed 3/4 of my way to a thousand.
So if you don't mind lets leave it like it is. Anyway, HPotter almost left the building.
Old 30th July 2002, 01:21 AM   #9
PedroPO is offline PedroPO  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to PedroPO
Peter Daniel:

I was very impressed with your work, but with that picture I am dieing with envy! you are really the mechanical god of the forum. I vote for your to move from acolyte to MECH GOD
Old 30th July 2002, 03:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Welcome Back Kotter, Umm Potter

Welcome back Potter, welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack.
Oops, a tv show flashback.

Regards, Eric.

Ps - Any chance of filling in for you during the 6 months that you are on leave ?.
BTW - Very nice portable that you have created - one day I'll have a machine shop like yours.

Hide this!Advertise here!