Hello from Tennessee - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2002, 05:56 PM   #1
wchick is offline wchick  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking Hello from Tennessee

Dear all,

I started to grow interest in DIY amplifier a month ago. Several years ago, I own some HiFi components (Musical Fidelity Class A amp, ProAc response 1S loudspeaker and Arcam CD-player) but I left them in Hong Kong after I relocated to TN, USA. I miss my HiFi system and now I just use computer to listen to music. I visited several Hi-End exhibition before and was so attracted to those expensive gears (that most of them I can't afford). Recently, I start to think, hey maybe I can build an decent amp myself with much lower cost.

Browsing and searching the internet, I gather many information. One of those is this forum and the other that appeal to me is the passlab. I really want, someday, I can built myself some Pass amp. This is probably just a dream though because I know nothing about electronic and, worst of all (maybe) I don't know how to do soldering. Thanks to Elliott's homepage about the beginner guide, they taught me a lot. I also bought the books from Sloan and they are good too. I'm now reading all this information. Frankly, I don't understand those circuity at all. I know it takes time, maybe I can understand some day.

Now, I tell myself I should get some practice on building something. I ordered an OPamp power amp kit from Taiwan as my first start and am preparing the necessary tools. I have bought a 25W weller soldering iron and a wire cutter. I think I also need:

1. a multimeter
2. solder

May I ask what kind or type of the above mentioned should I go for? And what other essential tools that I should have? If someday, I get confident to build some Pass gear, what should I go for as the first trial? (I'd love to build the Balanced line preamp).

Thank you all and all of your contributions to the diyaudio. God bless you!

Wallace

Hide this!Advertise here!