Intro from Houston

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All ... My name is Gary and I have been an audio nut for about 30 years. Just recently (1 year ago) I opened a stereo resale store here in Houston called Sounds Good To Me!
Things are going well and I really enjoy meeting all the fellow audio nuts. I currently have a 2 car garage full of gear that needs some degree of repair and I am not a tech. I can do simple maintenance type things like replacing lamps and cleaning pots and switches, but have very limited knowlwdge of electronic circuitry. I would like to learn more ... If anyone in the Houston area is interested in "partnering up" and taking on some repair work ... I would be interested in talking with you. The cost of taking these items to a regular electronics repair facility is prohibitive. So I am looking for someone who is willing to do the work for less than the average repair business would charge, but still make a little pocket money for the efforts.

http://home.houston.rr.com/soundsgoodtome

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit surprised by your request though. If you're not technical yourself, you presumably don't have a workshop full of test gear, but you are looking for someone who has, and you're offering to pay them less than the going rate? If I've understood that right, I don't see you're going to get many takers. A more fundamental point you should be aware of is that only the most expensive consumer electronics is worth the trouble of repairing, and once you take the covers off electrical equipment and charge customers for repair, you are legally liable for the safety of the equipment afterwards. That's why you don't see many repair shops any more - it's just no longer worth it. Don't think that I condone that situation, but it's the way things are.

Still, look on the bright side, perhaps you can learn enough here to extend your competence at repairing stuff yourself?

I understand what you're saying about not expecting a flurry of people beating my door down to do repair work at less than the going rates. I was hoping to find someone that is retired (and/or hobbyist) and not actually in a "business" of doing repairs. Someone that would work from their home with little or no overhead and is not in it stricly for the money, but more importantly, for the joy of working with stereo gear. Probably VERY idealistic hopes ... but you don't catch a fish without wetting the line. Ideally, I would like to learn some basics of diagnosing/repairing my own items.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.