Hello from southwest Germany!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have been reading these threads for couple of years and now I finally registered. It has been wonderful reading these posts and I wanted to give my contribution.

I have always been addicted to music and I found the deeper end of the pool couple of years back while still studying. The keeper of local high end store showed me the way.

I am now Ph.D in physics and I have always been diy person at some level. My first serious diy project was a .. hard to mention, because I always work for it :) . But besides the amp technology I was/am always intrested in the t&m and "practical little helpers for the electronics while diy".

I have designed own pcb for them and I'd like to share them some day (I have to find them first). I think some layouts are actually quite good, but that's only my opinion as you haven't seen them yet.

I'm now working as system administrator in a local company. Now I have more resources to make diy projects than before at school.

#end#

2 till: yep, it refers to a nice manufacturer of T&M equipment from Beaverton, Oregon, USA.

2 sy: I hope I used right time (apologies for my english otherwise, it's not mother's tongue), I DID surface analysis in physics, but not doing it anymore. Of course, we all must earn our living, so I had to find a work. That's the nowadays job in my posting mentioned.

2 sy:

Yes, Auger (AES) and ESCA. Mostly Auger on stainless steel (Fe Cr x Mo y) alloys, main was studying pitting corrosion for a research project funded by "Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft". I don't remeber how many samples were prepared and how many spectrum I took :) .Was a good time to do this, had a lot good collegues around. So we were really motivated, and enjoyed the days.
Not easy to find this nowadys in the work,but as I mentioned: earn the living :)

So, have you been / are you working in a similar field - ESCA, AES, SIMS?

Till,

well, you asked for it :))

The range of scopes :
The lab ones: 7104 :hot:, 7904A, 5440. The portables: 465, 475, 485 (at least 2 each - in case of failure on late saturday nights :)) )
The 2445/2465/2465B - same redundancy.
TDS 340A/ 380 in case digital storage is needed.
Tek 212 and 213 in case I am in holiday (rarely happens) and need a scope. :D

A little bit of TM 500 equipment like DM501, FG501/503, DC501/504, etc..
An AWG 420 in case sine/triangle/rectengular is not in my mood and we have to simulate :)

Of course all refurbished, cal'd, most with manuals.

Right now I refurbish one old Tek T935, may be you know these - the old "Electrolux vacuum cleaner" resembling ones in the plastic housing.:eek:

2 till:

shure, come bac kon me when you are willing to start the dive into your repair dungeon :)

Before it get's too offtopic here: Personal mail recommended in the case of deeper repair info.

The 7313 is not too bad, 65MHz is enough for most of the everyday work in my home lab.f
For the 7904:
I'd recommend sci.electronics.* via google - this topic is covered often.

Go for a 7A13 (newer version, the one with LED readout). Excellent CMRR, high gain, moderate in pricing (seen it for less than 50 euro). German army sold a lot of them last year, so there is god chance to look for auctions in the ebay :)

Avoid the older, mechanical scale 7A13 - not funny to repair and work with.

BTW: One never can have enough plug-ins for the Tektronix. Neither one can have enough probes ...

I was lucky- for me, Auger/ESCA was a tool, not a way of life. I was just an itinerant vibrational spectroscopist. Electrode surfaces were my thing. Maybe that's why capacitors and ESLs still fascinate me so much.

Now, STM/SFM, that is some cool stuff. And something possibly amenable to diy.

Postcode

Hi Tekman,

Could we not at least address you by your real first name ? I hate addressing people with codenames !!!!!!

What is your PLZ (perhaps at least the first two digits) ?
What projects are you on / planning ?

By the way, oberkochen probably has the highest concentration (per m2) of Ph.D.'s, especially physicists, in Germany. : )

Me, I am mechatronics, a rare breed here. : )

Patrick

> Mechatronic .... is that the new engineering field that is a combination of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering? Is that a 4 year program?

Yes, but nothing new.
One example is precision servo control (of say production machines). You won't have a good solution if you do not have understanding of both.

I am not sure whether it is 4 years in the states. In England, it is not first degree, but MSc and PhD.

Patrick

2 SY:
Yes, I agree, not a way of life -- I used ESCA/Auger also only as tools. To make my point more clear: The motivation I mentioned was because of the people, not because of the tools :)

STM/SFM are really nice stuff. Maybe even a little bit DIYing at home? Well, I maybe think about it this winter.

2 EUVL:
Typical german-newsgroup behaviour this "I like no codenames".
Well, if this problem for you, simply stay away from my postings. :attention:

We are not on a dating-line here, so I won't provide personal information to open-readed Web up to more than a certain degree.
We both have not met before, we hardly will in future. It's enough for me to have joined the group, talked a little bit personal and put in some (I hope ) useful posts in the other groups. I respect others and want to be respected. It's enough for me to have me name in the telephone book, clean my mailbox from spam every day and thanks to other newsgroup this get filled enough.

If you want to make public who you are, where you live and place the digits of your town postal code in the web: That's your decision.
Fro me it's already enough to get unwanted phonecalls by people I don't know and who want to sell me things I don't need. Same with emailing. So that's my reasons to simply say: STOP!! about my privacy.

If this offends you: Simply stay away.

2 fcel: In Germany, yes I think it's 4 year timeline. There are lots of related field around- and due to the educational system here it is more and more growing.

2 SY:

Thanks for taking the point from a moderator's view.

I think the reasons are clear (at least I made my statement) and there may be of course many more.

diyaudio is fine for this, but in (many) german NG the webcops (or the ones who think they are self-employed for this) really make a riot on this.

To make point clear from my view: I am not chasing. But I think there has to be tolerance: Who wants to take real-name, should do so. Who not (for what reason ever) doesn't need a "!!!!!!" for using another naming. (this is addressed to EUVL)

I am around in the several NGs since manyr years, and as stated: After beginning with real-name long time ago, I still have to update my spamfilter and to clean up my mailbox for this reason more often as using a pseudo - this is a kind of legacy I don't really ask for. So that's why I stay on a pseudo.

OK, I think we have this set clear.:att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.