Hello from Vancouver!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am mainly a headphone hobbiest, but lately my girlfriend has been requesting a stereo speaker system. Being a bit of a DIY'er I'd like to build a decent power amplifier. It seems as though the P3A fits the bill. Although, I'd like to hear it if possible. I'd also like a full parts breakdown. Preferably with Digikey / Mouser / etc. part numbers.

I know I'm asking alot, but I can't be the only one that wants this! :D

I really hate to say this, as I am very much in the Pass camp of amp design, but if you're looking for something that performs well, is cheap to build and a simple first project to start with, have a look at the Chip amps using the LM3875. BrianGT is offering kits with some great PCB's. I built one and I have to admit it is not dissappointing at all.

Of course, from there you can graduate up to building some REAL amps!

Sourcing all the parts can be daunting and that's what led me to build an AKSA 55 for my first amp. All parts except for the transformer and enclosure are provided.

BrianGT's gainclone definitely qualifies as decent (more fair to call it very good) and has the highest ratio of sound quality to time/cost invested. I was really impressed with mine but I think the AKSA sounds a little better although it costs three or four times more.

The gainclone makes a great first amp and the low parts count makes it possible to inexpensively experiment with different caps and resistors if you are so inclined.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.