Hello from Romania

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello from Romania

It's time to introduce myself: I'm Calin from Romania. Been lurking for some time on diyaudio.com, and I can say that it's my favourite forum (many may say that it's because I'm a geek :D) Anyway, I'm 25, and I'm back from a long break into audio diy. I took a break from this stuff when I entered the faculty, the computer kills the passion I can tell you that! (computer science faculty) I graduated this year and I remembered about audio diy and said to myself "let's see what happened while I was missing". You can imagine that in '98 when I graduated highschool the Internet wasn't that spread, nor was it so accessible here. But now it's everywhere and the amount of info is huge, and I caught up pretty quick. One of the downsides is that I got to realize that there is so much unaffordable stuff, back in highschool I thought that audio technology started and ended with Russian drivers...

Maybe someday I'll decide to move my *** to some imperialist decadent (that was a joke) western country and earn a decent living, and buy Sonus Faber speakers and brag with them to my Romanian friends... OK, back to reality... My first serious diy project is on the way, nothing fancy (did you imagine something else?), just some tower speakers with Visaton drivers, and a Quad 707 amplifier. Until then... I'll see you around.

PS: if anyone is interested in hearing exotic details about my country, go ahead and ask... naah, I didn't think so, anyway it's on TV from time to time :D

No, I graduated in Iasi, another "universitary" town, located in north-east, pretty close to Ukraine. Anyway, the difference between Timisoara for instance and Iasi is HUGE! Those who went there say that it feels like you are in Hungary :) Here, being close to Russia, the influence is greater and you can tell that. More uncivilized people, more lazyness, smaller salaries. But remembering a movie that I saw last night (not actually saw, just took a glimpse now and then), and a line that was something like "God, who would take the trouble to learn Romanian?" and the disgust on the face of the one who said that, I guess that you should be bored (to say the least) by now :D
Well, who knows, Denmark is a choice.

Calin: I have spent a lot of time trying to learn romanian language, but never quite succeded. :D

Salut, ce faci cu DIY in Romania?

No i guess i only have luck with sentences from that song:
Dragostea din Tei, they play all the time in any radio here in
Denmark ;) Salut, si eu, Haiduc .. Vrei sa pesci te nu mai nu mai iei, nu mai nu mai iei ....
I have some very close romanian friends, who live here in Denmark, but they also gave up trying to teach your language ..

Lars Clausen said:
Calin: I have spent a lot of time trying to learn romanian language, but never quite succeded. :D

Salut, ce faci cu DIY in Romania?

No i guess i only have luck with sentences from that song:
Dragostea din Tei, they play all the time in any radio here in
Denmark ;) Salut, si eu, Haiduc .. Vrei sa pesci te nu mai nu mai iei, nu mai nu mai iei ....
I have some very close romanian friends, who live here in Denmark, but they also gave up trying to teach your language ..

Hm, actually "Cum mai merge cu diy in Romania?" would be more appropriate. Something like "how is it going?", almost word-to-word translation. People say that Romanian is pretty hard and that it has a strange grammar. I frankly don't know, I speak it by instinct well enough :) One thing I noticed, the harder your native language is, the easier you learn/speak another. I've heard this Japanese guy that learned Romanian in two or three years and it was perfect! No accent, absolutely no grammatical mistakes, nada!

Did that "Dragostea din tei" get there already? The bad thing is that those guys are not actually from Romania, they're from what should be called Basarabia, but is actually called "The Republic of Moldavia" by those god damned communists there. The language they speak is Romanian with a STRONG russian accent, and apart from some very strange words, it is Romanian. They have equivalents for Romanian words where they are not needed. You know what they say "if you want to destroy a nation, destroy its language". After the breaking of the Soviet Republic they decided that their language shouldn't be called Romanian but Moldavian. Does that sound like communism or what? Communism isn't really dead there you know.
The region of Romania I live in is called Moldavia (btw, Transilvania really does exists! :D), and it's at the border with the so-called Moldavian Republic.
I don't have anything against the people that live there, but when they come in Romania, and you know that their blood IS Romanian and you hear them speaking in Russian between them... Well, the feeling is pitty mixed with some disgust. It's not like they're some minority, they were Romanians, but they were assimilated by the Soviet Republic and it's hard to believe that there is a way back.

planet10 said:

I undersatnd there were some in particular that are quite good... i had my brother look when he visited Odessa, no luck -- he did bring me back some nice tubes thou.

dave

I actually think that I still can find Russin drivers here in Iasi. They look very solid, they have heavy and big magnets, and the coils are large (I saw 10 cm coils at 30 cm drivers). And they are pretty cheap too.
They're way above the chinese crap that one usually finds here, with yellow diaphragms, green rubber surrounds, minuscule magnets and 2 cm coils at 30 cm diameter. Maybe I'll go and take some pictures of those Russian drivers. But don't expect T/S specs though :D

phase_accurate said:
Hello Calin

Welcome to the forum !

Isn't Iasi the place that got the old trams from Switzerland ?

Regards

Charles

In fact it is. I don't know if they're from Switzerland, but the ads on them are in German, so it's possible. The trams are OK, but the rails are awful. There are some portions that are so bad that you think that the tram will break in two. Let alone the pleasure of crossing them with the bicycle...

I want to send a warm 'Mult Mesc' to everyone who visited my demonstration at Hifi Arena in Bucuresti, Romania this last weekend.

I felt very welcome, and really enjoyed people's amazingly positive attitude there.
From an exhibitors point of view i had the impression that the visitors were very well informed and serious. Highly competent questions were asked, and the rate of interest was well above what i had expected.

I must admit that we did not have the best sound on the exposition, in my opinion that competion was won by either Audio Note, or Symphonic Line (Germany) playing the absolutely stunning Visonik loudspeakers (also from Germany). Which of those two had the best sound would - i guess - depend on the type of music played. I had the great luck of meeting Peter Quortrup from Audio Note, and got some really inspiring chats during the weekend. He is IMO not only one of the world's great audio designers, but also has a completely rediculously good sense of humor. I must repeat one of his remarks during the expo dinner:

I was telling our rep i Romania, Victor Catona from Cores SA, that outside of Timisoare was a roadwork, where they had cut away one lane of the already narrow and dark road and with only scarce marking and almost no warning they had dug a hole so deep, that it was impossible to see the bottom. Even when driving only centimeters from the edge.
And so Peter Quortrup's prompt remark was: well that is because the Romanians are now so thorough that they start to rebuild the road all the way from the core of the earth. :D

On our stand we played Predator and an upgraded Pioneer CD player with our own Teflon cables. The loudspeakers were some for me unknown brand from Lithuania, presented by our hosts from Cores. Unfortunately in the price range of only 250 US per loudspeaker, and designed for a surround system. Therefore it was really a hard task to generate true high end sound. It didn't go all bad though, and the ones with better sound did after all cost 4 - 10 times more than our system.

Frankly i will rate this exposition one of the best i have ever attended, and i will definitely be there next year, and with our own loudspeakers. ;) Also I can warmly recommend other brands to attend the exposition in Bucharest, Romania.
Contact for the exposition management is: Sorina Muresan tel. +40 212243677.

push_pull: we did indeed play the ZAPpulse / Predator amplifier.

roibm: I can only respect your reservations about the police corruption. It only shows that you Romanians are a very honest and respectable people. I have many romanian friends, and i can say i have never met a romanian that could not be trusted 100%.
About the cop corruption it's starting to be much much better now than it was 3 years ago when i visited Romania last time.
I didn't have any problems at all on this trip. Not even at the border.

Only one taxi driver in Bucuresti overcharged me with 500.000 Lei for a 3 km trip. (About 10 Euro). The same trip in Alba Iulia next day cost only 8900 Lei (About 15 Euro Cent or 20 US Cent) - the right price in Romania.
I hope the guy in Bucuresti had a nice dinner with his girlfriend out of my 500.000 Lei ;-)

Lars Clausen said:
Only one taxi driver in Bucuresti overcharged me with 500.000 Lei for a 3 km trip. (About 10 Euro). The same trip in Alba Iulia next day cost only 8900 Lei (About 15 Euro Cent or 20 US Cent) - the right price in Romania.
I hope the guy in Bucuresti had a nice dinner with his girlfriend out of my 500.000 Lei ;-)
That's well known. In bucharest I mean.
I don't really know how it is nowadays but in the past they used to charge $30-50 for a ride from the airport into the city. Needless to say that's a huge amount for some 15 Km.
As about alba, that's my county(judet), and there is a huge difference between this county(and in general, transilvanian counties) and bucharest(especially when it comes to fairness). One sick thing about the bucharest's people is that most of them think we are really stupid for being fair(and not overcharging when possible etc.) This alone was also the reason for leaving romania(temporarly). I could have gotten a very well paid job(for romania, 1000+ eur) when I left, but that could have happened only in bucharest and I hate that city and most of it's people. So here I am, and no plan to stay much longer, but then again, I wanna see what happens with rosia montana and who wins the elections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.