Introductions I guess

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Time to say hello to all of you.
My real name is Chris Bridge. I used to run a company called Micron Electronics in Mississauga Ontario, Canada. I sold that 6 to 7 years ago. Mostly, it wasn't fun anymore. Turning a hobby into a business can do that.
I've talked to some of the engineers before over the years. Thanks for your help. Please say hi if you're there. I now live in Georgetown Ontario and service the odd piece of gear.
Funny thing, I am now in a project that has Counterpoint SA-100's sounding much better (more reliable too).

-Chris

Howdy!

I'm just down the road from you, in Oakville.

It happened like this....

My kid played Suzuki cello for several years, and decided to drop it I was basically okay with the decision, but I wanted him to stay in music, so I steered him towards bass guitar....

And I started looking around the Upright bass world... Particularly electric upright basses... From there I was carving out the world's ugliest EUB, and putting together some piezo pickups... trying to get a preamp wired up... investigating building a bass amp....

If I'd known how much stuff I would be cramming into my head, I think some days that kid would stilll be playing cello... Honestly, I fell like my head is going to explode some days... But it Keeps the Mind Alive!!

BobMac

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
;-) That's fun fun of it! There is always something new to learn in electronics. Not good for business, although I enjoy running a company.
Wouldn't it be easier to find a wrecked amp, repackage it and fix it? Building one is much more fun but time consuming. I'm sure there is a lot of help here though.
-Chris

Introduction

This is an old post but here goes anyway.
I'm also in Georgetown and got back into audio is a strange way.
I bought a chunk of bush up near Bala and built a legal shack deep in said bush. (under 100 sq ft, for storage only, of course)
Now I needed efficient audio. A lengthly search landed me with a pair of MDF (test) Saburo's in the house, two iterations of angular spirals, 2 sonic T-Amps (I think I fried one) and a Glow Amp.

Now I can't stop.

I have a Shopbot, although I have little experience running it, and a soldering iron that I can easily identify by my burnt fingerprints as opposed to any completed projects. Actually, that's a lie, my old one is lost and my new one is still in the plastic. My AMP9 kit just served to illustrate how little I knew about electronics.

Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
I bid you welcome to our forums!

Nice to see someone else who is close. Some day we might get together over something.

I have a Shopbot, although I have little experience running it
What is that?

My AMP9 kit just served to illustrate how little I knew about electronics.
Or, how much there is to learn yet. Look at it as an opportunity to have some fun and feel some accomplishment. I've been at this my entire life and still feel satisfaction and excitement when doing different things.

I live near the hospital, where are you?

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Cal,
Hello Chris and welcome to the forums. Are you new here?
Thanks Cal. Sometimes I really do feel like I'm new here. Times like this actually. :)

Hi Mike,
Yes, you are well within walking distance. Nice area there too. Ever see a girl walking two large black Poodles? Those are all mine - even the girl. You would be near the extreme of my walking range. I'm on Atwood Ave on the other side of the tracks. I do have a "lab" with test equipment and things like distortion analyzers if you need to have something measured.

A Shopbot is a CNC router
Hey! Now that is nifty!

Do you have any aluminum scraps around? Either some bar stock or plate. I would like something around 3/8" ~ 5/8" thick. Not much, possibly cut offs or something?

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.