Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2002, 07:47 PM   #11
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

KarnEvil, are you an ELP fan or what?
Old 7th May 2002, 02:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

yeah - I'm into the whole prog-rock thing. (Rush, Yes, Genesis, ELP, too name several)

Actually, I'm into Peart, Brufford/White, Collins, Palmer - too name several drummers.

you?
Old 7th May 2002, 03:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ooooh...now you've done it...gone and pushed one of my buttons!
Yes.
Period.
Spent years learning every lick Chris Squire played. Up through Relayer or so--gave up when they went disco. At that point I'd already discovered--quite by accident--Chick Corea & Return to Forever, so I shifted sideways into fusion jazz. (And from there to traditional jazz, but that's another story.)
ELP was okay; Greg Lake was never what you'd call a bass player's bass player, kinda wimpy, in fact. Genesis and I never quite clicked. I like the instrumental part of what Rush does, but can't get past the screechy sound of Geddy's voice.
Pity that not one of those albums qualifies in the audiophile sense.
If I'm wrong and the religious people are right--and if by some cosmic accident I were to make it to heaven--the band I'd play in would have Bill Bruford or Lenny White on drums. Alan White would be backup in case either of them had to run off and play harp or something.

Grey
Old 7th May 2002, 05:47 PM   #14
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think Rush has been appreciated as much at home (Canada) as they should be. They've done very well. Agreed Lee's voice is a bit of a problem. I've met more US Rush fans than Canadian ones.
Hope y'all are enjoying the Barenaked Ladies.

Grey, one of my favorites is Squire's solo album, Fish Out Of Water. I inherited the CD from a buddy, forgot how much I enjoyed that album. Fidelity is poor, as I recall...I'll listen on my Senns and check.
Old 7th May 2002, 07:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Grey - even Soundchaser!?!? Those are some CRAZY bass licks! You and I need to get together!

What I liked most about ELP was how Keith Emerson would throw around that beat-up organ and get to coolest sounds out of it - and also the insane synth setups he had. Palmer displayed amazing power on the drums - man, the shear speed and endurance that guy possessed - wow! Greg Lake - I'm with you Grey.

Yeah, Geddy Lee does have a pretty high voice. The pre-Farewell to Kings stuff was over the top, IMHO.

Barenaked Ladies - what a buncha hosers, ehh?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!