Greeting from Kendrick Pavey, Director, Silver Stealth Cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kendrick,

welcome on this place! :) and please don't get discouraged from the bad vibrations and self-importance demonstrated in this thread. Ignore them, take the good vibrations, also from other threads :)

posted by HarryHaller: Jocko and I are going to start a company called Tantrum Audio....
:mad: and you seem to be proud of that. The spirit emerging from many of your posts indicates you both could be well qualified for that. Throwing tantrums. Downtalk. Discouraging. Dismantling self-respect.

posted by Brett:Jeez, I didn't think we were hard on him at all. It was very friendly I thought.
You thought. :mad: Me, well, me felt sick reading that. Felt even more sick when i read on further and found the crowd was ignoring Kendrick after slapping him and instead caressing the own own ego. An elaborated way to show a man his lack of importance and respect.
Felt sick seing that. Jason, Grey, your opinion?

Bernhard

Tantrums

Dice 45, I am sorry that you feel this way. My attempts at humor have been taken too seriously. I am glad to help with thoughtful questions and often receive thanks for such. Part of the nature of this forum is for learning. When wrong advice and outright nonsense is posted, the poster is fair game. I have been corrected, second guessed, and lampooned on numerous ocassions and I am still here. I felt that using a DIY forum to sell commercial products was an abuse of the forum. Mr. Pass and Mr. Dean don't abuse it in this way and why should anyone else. Maybe Kedrink was more interested in selling wire than contributing to knowlege GIVEN in this forum.

Stealth Contributors

Hello Bernard and Hoary, I don't think any of us took any of this too seriously, indeed notice the way the thread quickly went way off subject.
I have to say that I agree with Harry's comments and conclusions.
The raw materials I have chosen are top quality, the assembly process simple and the results speak for themselves.
.....and I'll attempt to answer questions both related to and not related to cables as they appear.
Lets post a whole heap of cable queries and see what happens !. :)

Eric.

This Forum Rules, OK!!

I say this because I've been a member of the Joenet for some years now, and this forum is much less earnest, and shows more of a sense of humor, which I value.

I thought the response to Kendrick (who's a real nice guy, very sincere, dedicated to audio, definitely NOT a profiteer!) was a little tough, but then came to see that much of the response was in jest. I laughed like a drain at the 'spam' song - I'm quite sure Palin and Chapman would have too, and I think maybe Kendrick as well. ;)

I think I speak for most of us in welcoming Kendrick very sincerely. He has much to add.

As Bernhard says, there is always ego stroking and those who seek to put down others. What can we expect? We are human, and self-interest drives us all........:p

On matters commercial. It's tough out there, and you are only as good as your last ten sales. So you have to keep pushing. I don't use the forum to generate sales, but I admit to putting my website address on my posts so people can have a gander at related material, arguably of interest to some. In this sense, I guess you could say I use the website for marketing; very different, but important nonetheless. Among a bunch of sceptical DIYs, marketing is always the necessary first step, and I make no bones about learning from this forum. I'd even admit to using it as an information resource. Heck, people like Harry and Syl and Sonnya know more about SS than I do. The audio trade is so complex that we'd be fools if we said we can't learn from others; I particularly value the comments on matters technical (I still think its a !@#$ cascode, Harry, since signal goes into the base, the current is shared, the emitters are conjoined, and the signal comes out of a collector on the other side. The upper base is cleverly used as a feedback node; the result of this is huge OLG! :D ) and I don't see evidence of any nastiness at all, which kills forums stone dead for weeks at a time.

Cheers,

Hugh

www.printedelectronics.com

Hugh

As usual you are a class act and have a sense of humor as well. Lets see two transistors with joined emitters, input signal in the base of one, feedback signal in the base of the other, yep looks like a diff amp to me. The NAD circuit has a large gain due to two gain stages and the use a current source load for the second gain stage. As two gentleman (or maybe 1.001 according to GreyR) we will have to agree to disagree on the pedigree of this circuit.

H.H.

Harry and Jocko
(and anyone who could feel adressed)

i had my asbestos already donned for my last post as i stand by what i said. :mad: For the record: IMO your technical contributions to this forum are utterly valuable and in most cases helpful and obvioulsy intended to help (and i would not like to miss them :) ). If a bit ego-caressing comes within the package, no problem and if there is fun with it, even better :) (i mean fun, not insider jokes keeping the rest of the community stuck in mystery :( ).

However, spontaneous responses from you both concerning new ideas, projects, methods, lifestyles, going pro, whatever, were not positive IMO. They were not enthusing, encouraging, giving hints how to find work-arounds for traps, they were rather discouraging, drafting a doomy situation around said traps, intending to stop. Dismantling self-confidence: talking down other person's universities and schools and teachers and university of today in general. :(
Sorry folks, but that is how i perceived it, from more than just this thread.

There is a certain thread you will remember where a lot of derogatory remarks about universities were made and bootscamp trainees and so on. Gosh, a lot of those bootscamp trainees are current members of this forum. Yes, i too participated in this thread because i too harbour a redundant lack of satifaction with some, not all university-related topics. But i thought all the time, man, do i tell them in detail which sort of education i received?, no, rather i would admit to have joined the sadomaso (or whatever) community. And, reading the thread with some weeks in between, i could slap myself for participating, for not having resisted as i initially intended.

Not that you weren't right with your complaints (from your own perspective) but did it help anyone in this forum except yourself? Methinks, no. Methinks, this falls into the offensive/corrosive truth category.

Please do not take my words as offense or too literal, i am using thick paint here to make understood what i mean.

Folks, i like this forum very much. I like it because it is differing from other usual forums, by having been a happy, enthusing, mutally helpful and respectful place so far. I want it to stay that way. Do you want that, too?

For this constructive spirit is essential. Utterly essential everyday, every post.
Because few posters can mess a place totally up within short.
So please adorn your extraordiary technical competence and experience with some social competence. A checklist will help:
* will my post help the adressee?
* is the post specificly answering the question?
* will it contribute some knowledge of common interest?
- - - - -
* will it hurt adresse's or lurker's feelings?
* will it dismantle self-confidence of the readers (subconsciously/delayed)?
* will it generate an insider/outsider separation and does it keep a majority stuck in mystery?

In case any question below the dashed line is yes, don't post. That simple.
I do believe that asking the questions, having them as a TSR program in tha back of the mind helps us a lot. :)

Corrosion of good manners and mutual respect starts innocently, slowly, having a depot effect, leading to mental pollution not senseable at 1st. But then the people get more and more annoyed and the exponential curve describing mudslinging and namecalling activities ceases to be almost horizontal ...

I want to make my friend (who is very reluctant to join) wrong who said "can you tell how this forum differs from other forums, it differs not and will end up like the other forums within short." Do you want help me with that?

Hugh,
you have been on the JoeNet far longer than me (and i bowled out for quite a while, unable to stand the flames of that time), do you want to have such flames here in a not so distant while?

All,
have a look at www.audioannex.com if you want to have a coarse idea of where said exponential curve can lead to. When i joined it as 48th or so member about 4 weeks after it had been founded, It had a mildly bantering atmosphere, sometimes name calling but always very funny and friendly. It was occupied by "professional mudslingers" but as they kept a low profile at 1st, it was a pleasant thing for folks enjoying witty language. But soon it turned into a screamy loony bin, it took not more than two months for that. Most interesting people fled, only the mud wrestlers with the most stable stomachs stayed, yelling at each other in front of an empty audience (member count is frozen at about 150 and who knows how much have left w/o saying bye like me, being still subscribed to keep the own moniker occupied). Admitted, my personal POV, i am still observing it occasionally.

Go there with an empty stomach, please, for your own good.

While i am typing this, the radio station plays a LvB piano sonata of mediocre quality (famous pianist, of course) and too reminds me of the wonderful discussions with wonderful people about music and its interpretations i had at the AAnnex.. I miss them so much i could cry.

I do not have an ego that needs stroking. Just a warped sense of humour.

I stand by my comments on the poor state of universities. It is not the graduates, but the zoo keepers of said institutions that I have a problem with. They DO NOT teach the fundamentals necessary to analyze and solve a real world engineering problem.

I will gladly retrain anyone who wants to be. Save them the bother of having to spend most of their adult life learning what they should have learned long ago.

Jocko

Paddeling

Well Jocko I guess we both have been spanked on the forum today. I guess we will have to give up our sense of humor and stick to carefully worded suggections on heatsinks and fet matching for beginers. Good thing none of these poets had to spend any time with us in person or tears would flow. I guess maybe we can still mix it up with the Aussies which seem to be a bit sturdier than the average forum member. I guess I will have to resist picking on those whose ask the same question for the 5th time in one week.

H.H. (hurt and humiliated)

Back in the days when we had remotes at all the campuses across the state, there was a guy who would sign off every night at 22:00 (they weren't 24/7 like we are here) with the words "Good night, Saigon."
For years, he did this. He thought it was hilarious. No one else ever figured out why he thought he was so funny. Perhaps it was from a movie everyone else missed. Perhaps it was from a book none of the rest of us read. Who knows? Even if it was from some identifiable source, surely the joke was stale after the 500th time.
Surely?
Yet this fellow kept doing the same thing every night, thinking he was being the life of the party. What passes for funny to some people is not to others...for any number of reasons. Could be that they weren't in on the origin, in the 'you had to be there' sense. Maybe it just wasn't funny to begin with. Lots of times people simply get a kick out of running counter to the grain, and--for lack of a better term--call what they're doing 'humor.'
One of the things that occured to me along the way was that we have no idea how long these various postings may last. We--myself included--tend to think of this as a semi-realtime conversation. Almost as good as picking up the phone to ask a friend a question. The thing is that it's a party line, and someone is taking down everything we say (perhaps we need a Miranda warning every time we post...). Now, technology being what it is, perhaps the Web will be obsolete in five years and all our words will be as smoke in the wind.
But what if the Web lasts?
What if my University of Audio metaphor were to actually fly?
Would you want to pull a reference text off the shelf to check a formula and end up wasting an hour picking your way though 65 different motorcycle pictures to find what you were looking for?
Not that I'm not prone to throwing in a few off-topic things myself...I freely admit it. Stuff like that keeps (I hope) the site from being dry and boring. But really now, if off-topic things show your human side, what do your off-topic comments reveal about you?
Think about it.

Grey

P.S.: Though it's not my site (it's Jason's...I'm just the moderator), I'm not comfortable with posters advertising their commercial product. That's not to say that we don't have people here who make a living at audio, but most of them manage to strike a fine balance between pushing their wares and being helpful. In my opinion, Nelson and Hugh manage to get it about right. There's another member, whose name I won't mention (not the fellow who started this thread), who never posts unless he can figure out a way to slip in a plug for his stuff. Once you're onto him, it's obvious.
When someone comes on too strong, it's usually enough for one or perhaps two people to say something. Incessant harping on the matter gets to be a bit much.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Read the post

I vote it was a pretty commercial message and deserved some negative comment. I can't see anyone coming to any other opinion if they read the thing. It wasn't a big deal, and the topic veered off until mr. dice brought it up again with his lecture.

Better to have let it alone

Grey,
agreed with every word.

Mark,
until mr. dice brought it up again with his lecture.
Ouch. Pleading guilty for smartassing, admitted. Original post: did you observe i was taking sides on that issue? AFAIR, i avoided the issue. However, I do not think what followed was justified, was ok. If you re-read my posts, you certainly get the concept.

After having said what i have to say and hoping it soaked in a bit, I admit, i too sensed the original post as too commercial.

Harry and Jocko,
Intention to say what i said. No intention to humiltiate or to offend you both personally. If this happened and you feel hurt, I apologize. But maybe you somehow manage to see my point (atleast partially, i do not claim to be 100% right).
Maybe after it soaked in some more time. :)
Do me a favour, think about it.

Repeat: no offense meant. And, stick with your kinky humour, so do i :) BTW, i know methods to prepare a glueing surface in a way ensuring that pizza glued to the roof of the mouth remains there permanently. Works with PTFE, should work with pizza and flesh too. :)

After looking at some of the chest thumping and brow beating, and sledging going on other forums, I'm appalled, so much so that I can not be bothered to trawl through the egoism in order to gain usefull insights, and share my knowlege as appropriate.

So I repeat
This forum is usually (and ought to be) a tree hugging hippy, feel good, sharing, caring sort of thing, and we are all interested in new and interesting developments and knowlege.

With the help of the sensible ones amongst us (Bernard, Grey, Hugh and others I missed), let us all keep it that way.

I trust now that the two main offenders are suitably humbled.

We still have not heard any more from Kendrick - perhaps after his treatment here he has formed the opinion that this forum is no better that than the others, and probably rightly so - perhaps Hugh can encourage him back.

Just some of my thoughts on the subject, Eric.

Regards, Eric.

I guess maybe we can still mix it up with the Aussies which seem to be a bit sturdier than the average forum member.

Yep, Jocko and Hoary, but you will need to get up a whole lot earlier in the mornings to catch us out.
Don't forget we Aussies stick together like glue - you have been warned !.

GRollins said:
There's another member, whose name I won't mention (not the fellow who started this thread), who never posts unless he can figure out a way to slip in a plug for his stuff. Once you're onto him, it's obvious.

Grey,
I too have noticed this individual. In fact, I believe that i've notice two or three individuals who seem to meet this criteria.... perhaps it's some kind of conspiracy as they all advertise very similar amplifier products....

Greeting from Kendrick Pavey, Director Silver Stealth Cables

Hey,

Harry,

Free diy information.. and a fun thing to do one night..

Thanks for the links re Diy cable posts, how about this for an idea.

Previously I make up some diy Geortz cable rather than pay silly prices from Parts Connection (now belly up)

All you need is to is source appropiately thin copper foil, cut it into two 5 mm stripes say 60 cm long, and then wrap each with PTFE plumbers tape and bind two strips face to face with more tape and terminate the ends to your favourite rca plugs.

I could not pick the difference b/n the diy and the real thing!

Suggest the plugs and sockets may make a bigger difference and best results come if you do without them.

(I did this a few years ago when I was running the Audio Action DIY group at the Melbourne Audio Club/pre Kendrick's arrival).

However, I like many of us I have found true class A a bit more of a challenge and I prefer to leave the knitting and weaving to the women.

regards

macka.

Ps I'm waiting for my Elna Silmics to arrive for my Aleph 2's, thanks for the hint.

Re: Glueing PTFE?

Jocko Homo said:
It is my understanding that said procedure alters the surface of the PTFE, and you are actually glueing to that new compound.

Not exactly. But true is: the molecular structure of the PTFE is altered by partially replacing fluor with sodium and polymer chains are not that long and 3D-noded anymore; consequently the surface energy is increased and the stuff becomes gluable with epoxy or urethane glue. Etched surfaces are dark brown. Always a good idea for gluing plastics is to grind the surface to a fibrous sort of roughness with ultra-coarse emory paper before. So it is with PTFE.

Not sure I want you trying that anywhere on me. I've taken part in enough medical experiments to last a long time.
You are not sure?. :confused: You do not even want to store the mixture within your proximity, tellya.
The etching bath consists of 23g of metallic sodium dissolved in a mixture of 128g naphtaline and 1000ml tetrahydrofurane . Mnjammnjam :)

When i need PVC glue, i buy it fresh and discard the rest, no matter how much this rest is and how expensive. PVC glue also contains tetrahydrofurane

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.