Should Woofer material match drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Planning to buid two sealed cabinets to house one 15" woofer in each, primarily for music.

My speakers' cones and tweeters are ceramic coated magnesium drivers and I can attain woofers of this material. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should use the same composition of cone material for my woofers or will they sound better if I choose paper treated?

Unfortunately I havn't listened to alot of hifi bass but I do know paper sounds good, but metal woofers are fast.

Please give me some feedback so that I can get at this project thanks.

BROKEN THIRDS

Wish you could have been at the DIY meeting at Adire Audio this weekend. Adire gave a great talk on woofer design. The short of it, you pretty much need to look at the T&S parameters and forget everything less.

At low frequencies, super stiff cones apparently have no real benefits because breakup of "lesser" materials such as polypropylene happens at frequencies well above the intended operating range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.