Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I live in Canada and music has always been my main hobby. From playing the guitar in bands from age 11 to listening to music, watching concert dvds and chasing down such artists as Miles Davis, Corea, Di Meola and Metheny in the USA at clinics as well as countless hours searching for dvds and cds not available in North America. I studied electronics technology (three year course) in college in the early nineties, however, I eventually becoming a toolmaker.

In my early years and present I loved Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. However, through music education my listening preferences began to evolve and mature into a love for fusion and jazz. Fast, tight, articulate, and percussive rhythms and melodies that expose inferior sound systems and when played through an accurate controlled system can be the most relaxing thing to do in my leisure time.

I don't do anything half speed if I have a choice. To me accuracy of sound and control are paramount and effeciency takes a back seat because there is a difference. I've auditioned Linn, Meridian, Krell, B&W, JMLabs etc. and my conclusions are Class A, and sealed rule. Consequently, this is why I have joined this forum, to learn to build what I cannot afford.

Looking forward to this experience!

Broken Thirds

Thanks for the interest EC8010m,

At present I want to build a solid state amplifier. In the future I would like to do something with tubes for some old brass solo on vinyl. I currently have a Rotel 3 x 200 and a Denon Receiver 5x105 and 5 Monitor Audio silver Series speakers with mathching 10" sub. I use the Rotel to power my center and front channels and the Denon for the rear channel pair the sub is powered.

Hi Magura,

I'm a licensed tool and die maker and mold maker. As you know these trades require perfection and I feel that we toolmakers can be great at anything we set our minds to considering the amount of detail and perfection we have been trained to work with.

I've got access to a jig borer, vertical and horizontal milling machines, wet grinders, hand grinders boring mill, engine lathe, honing machine, punch press, injection press, CNC milling machine etc.

I'm very interested in hearing about the good and bad of any amp, speaker, or crossover projects you have built. I'm getting ready to build two woofer cabinets to house one 15" woofer in each and I need feed back to decide if I should utilize an electronic crossover or passive. Music is always the priority! These will then be powered by mono blocks performing at either 200 or 250watts per channel.

If you have any info or experience with L-mosfets as compared to BJTs let me know.

BROKEN THIRDS

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
No question, put the crossover before the power amplifier. In the days when power was expensive, passive crossovers made sense. But a good bass amplifier is cheap. Amplifiers that wouldn't pass muster for their midrange and treble make perfectly good bass amplifiers. MOSFET amplifiers tend to have a slightly softer bass than BJTs, possibly because of the negative temperature coefficient of the device. You could also consider an evaluation board for one of those digital things (Tripath).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Bass control tends to be down to the power supply. It's easy enough to make a silicon amplifier that has adequately good bass. What's expensive is making a good enough power supply to support it. Large transformers, decent rectifiers, and low ESR capacitors all cost money, so that's where the corners are cut. I expect that the better amplifier you heard had a better power supply.

I can only agree with you about the fact that a well educated toolmaker is having an easy time making the stuff that most will have to leave for their wildest dreams. I have access to a fully equiped modern machine workshop as well, so we may have some fun ahead of us. In a while Ill start a thread about my Pass Zen V7 project. I have machined most of the parts by now (including the heatsinks), and im just waiting for the day Im getting excited to go out and buy a digi camera. The thread will not be interesting without the pics.

Magura:)

Magura said:
I can only agree with you about the fact that a well educated toolmaker is having an easy time making the stuff that most will have to leave for their wildest dreams. I have access to a fully equiped modern machine workshop as well, so we may have some fun ahead of us. In a while Ill start a thread about my Pass Zen V7 project. I have machined most of the parts by now (including the heatsinks), and im just waiting for the day Im getting excited to go out and buy a digi camera. The thread will not be interesting without the pics.

What other parts have you machined other than the heatsinks Magura? If you machined the inputs and outputs what steel did you use to avoid rusting? I'm very interested in seeing the blueprints you have available for the heatsinks, their look can really make an amp look sweet.

Im working on the box itself. to be cast and machined of aluminium. Wall thickness 20mm. Box will be cylindrical and heatsinks mounted around it. Besides that ive machined a few heatspreaders from copper, the bolts are to be machined still for the mounting of the heatsinks..and so are the nuts for the same.
Then Ive machined a couple of mounting brachets for the power supply inductors and are to machine brackets for the 80mH inductors as well, all from aluminium.

Plus the usual buttons and so forth.

I guess the most interesting project right now is the 40 step rotary switch for the attenuators. I just made the tool for forging the silver contacts. Needed a tool since i need several hundreds of them for two balanced attenuators. The final touch up on the switches will be step motor drive.

Well, to make the whole thing myself is part of the fun. It makes the whole thing exactly the way we want it. If that should not be the case, at least I know whom to blame ;)

It naturally also is a matter of quality, perfection is either not an option or very expensive. So Ive chosen to make pretty much everything myself. Its simply too time consuming as well to try to find the specific parts that we want (we= me and the Mrs., she is participating in this as well), then better just go and make the respective parts, at least you know what you get.

Since I cant reply to your mail...the adress dosnt work...here is the reply:

Hi

For people like us the ultimate choise of amp would be Zen V7. Thats the only DIY amp where we can really get a benefit over the common DIY'er.

Most of the attempts to make such have been ending up pretty bad though, cause people dont have the machine workshop needed to make something that powerfull.

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Magura said:

I finally read that paper... looking at the very last schematic makes me think a pair of tubes might replace the mosfets... a single stage forced symmetry (Allen Wright) crossed with Super symmetry (Nelson Pass)

EC8010... could it be made to work?

I've attached the map i refer to from Nelson Pass' Zen V7 article on the PassDIY site.

dave

Attachments

• zen7.gif
    zen7.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 78
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Magura said:
I guess Dave got hold of the wrong map??

To me it seems like the the ZV7 for esl?? ;)

No that is the one i meant... the ESL OPT could easily be replaced by a PP OPT or perhaps even a pr of SE OPTs (which are designed to handle the DC)... except for the super symmetry i've already skirted around the SE idea...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=55694#post55694

Take the SS feedback out, retool the CCS as required, adjust the windings on the OPT, replace the 2 MOSFETS with power tubes and you've got a single stage PP amp. I've not yet got enuff handle on feedback to get my head around that...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.