Hello from Philippines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everybody,

I am an electronics technician working in broadcast repairing sony products, I'm a newbie in sound system, at the present I build a sound system for outdoor but i have limited knowledge to make it the best sound system in our place. Hoping friends here will share their ideas and expertise. as of now I need a thundering long throw speaker box design does anybody knows?

Best regards,

Noel

Hi Ric,

I need a high power long throw design, that can be heared in the nearby barangay my new mobile is located in Northern Leyte, my power amp now is just rated at 1000w 6 pcs. but I will replace later by a powerful one which is also I'm looking for.
At the present i'm just using a reflex box design it sounds good with deep bass nearby but very poor in the distance. I'm using 15" woofers.

best regards,

Noel
:)

Wow!! a thousand watts per channel you mean? Is it Rms or peak music power.Rated means' you are at RMS that and you can fill the oval field footbal stadium. May I ask what is your system?

Just would like to clarify. Are you are planning to build a total of 6 speaker baffles?

Hi Ric,

It is 500 watts per channel a total of 1000 watts in one amplifier and I built six of that but i am not satisfied the way it delivers in a distance that's why i need the long throw design of speaker box.
Speaking of the power it has really a power but compared to the commercially available it will be inferior compared to peavey,crown and other well known professional high power amplifiers. my system is intended for outdoor disco and other events in an open space. maybe you have a better design do you
have? how about the speaker box design for long Throw.

Best regards,

noel
;)

Ric,

just to follow up on my amplifier info it is 500w per channel, yes it is in RMS in 4 ohms. my speaker box are 8pcs. two 15" speakers in each box which i used fo bass and different box on tweeters and midrange. give me your opinion and expertise ric.

noel

I have many designs but it wiil be a shame if i send you a wrong information thats why i'd like to know more of your detail .I'll find some informations on my dusty files based on some facts of your sound requirement.

your bass reflex is definitely not ideal for outdoor. you need a backload horn. and since you have many amplifiers, i recommend to bi-amp your system wherein you can use one amp each to drive the low and mid-high in an active configuration that will double your power.(Not passive which requires massive coils and capacitors in speakers.)

Anyhow, pls see the attached if it satisfy first your requrement.Resonance frequency is 40hz which is typical for good bass.

Attachments

• horn loaded.zip
    52 KB · Views: 198
I would like to help you on the amplifier aspect.A 500 watt amplifier at 4 ohms needs at least + and - 80 volts DC.If you are using a bridged Circuit you need at least + and - 55 volts to achieve 500 watts at 4 ohm load.Are you using the THUNDER circuit by Bandi?If yes this circuit is rated way beyond their actual output.You could verify this if you have a Oscilliscope and a High wattage resistor 4 and 8 ohms.Plus you need a fast acting short circuit protection not fuse,fuse will blow only after your output is already shorted.And lastly a DC protection circuit to protect to protect your speaker when your amp gets damaged and puts out DC voltage.

MGR

Ric,

thanks for the design, only one question what is the difference
of this design on the w-bin that i saw in Pampanga when I visited my brother who married there. somebody told me it was bought from someone. do you have this design 15" or 18" which is better between the two for my sound sytem. thanks too for the technical info.

noel;)

Hi MGR,

You are right it is the design of Bandi, the supply of this is 50V+ no negative 50, what do you mean by rated way beyond its output? does it mean lower or higher as what bandi says in the book? I'm experiencing now constant breakdown of this amplifier I dont have a short circuit protection and DC protection it is costing me a lot of money on power transistors. do you have a design for this protection circuits.

noel :eek:

Hi Noel

The design of Bandi cannot even get you a clean 150 Watts,I do not want to discourage you but if you really want to go into a Proffesional Mobile setup do not use this circuit.Here are the Pros and cons.
Advantages:
Cheap output Transistors (MJ2955 and 2N3055)
Cheap Capacitors(4700uf/50V)
Disadvantages:
Unreliable
Unstable DC offset
No DC protection
No short circuit protection
I can help you design the DC protection and short circuit protection but regarding the power output it is really not meant for outdoor use.Believe me this is based on actual experience.As early as 8 years ago most startup mobiles have not used this design because of the disadvantages that I mentioned.

MGR,

you are right again the DC offset is unstable I am upset upon learning this but you are telling the truth I will really replace this, I noticed the power since before but I dont have the oscilloscope at home. anyhow I will use it temporarily Until I got the right amplifier may be you can recommend me what to do. and also please share to me your short circuit protection and DC protection to be used for the time being until I replace my entire amplifier.

Thanks in advance,

noel
:bawling:

w-bins

W-bins are double folded (horn loaded) baffle designed for your purpose(disco, theatre, P.A etc.)

They are intended to be part of a large modular bass horn system that can produce a very high acoustic output at very low frequency. (Don't listen after dinner because something might happen to your stomach)

It is interesting to try in 18" if you have...

Re: Your output transistors ( Mj2955 and 2m3055) Do not let your output fry!!!

Use these instead : MJ15003 (npn); MJ15004 (pnp)
Both 250w , Bv = 140v, Ic = 20Amp.
It's Indestructible.

I dont have the long throw w-bin design 15 and 18 i'm looking also maybe somebody here has to share. ric can I use the MJ15022 and MJ15023 because I Ordered already around 100pcs. before I found DIY audio forum. MGR has informed me about the quality of my amplifier I agree with him somehow I will replace it once I have already the money to buy a better amplifier.

more power to you and diy audio members,

noel

:)

15022 complementary

It's up to you if you want to go to new production (this is new)
I go for the 70's

collector current of 15003 is 20A while 15022 is only 15A ,so 20A is more likely to be reliable.

Hfe of 25 is more good than 15 of 15022.

Freq. of 15003 is 2 mhz while 15022 is 4mhz.your application is only for audio.

they are both 250w.

Hi Noel

Don't despair about your amp,we can modify it you can use the Transformer 38-0-38 to build another amp but now we are going to use a symetrical power supply(Split supply) and bridged the output for more power.With this supply you now have a + and - 52 volts DC(104 Volts in all) rather than your present +52 volts.You can use your MJ15022 and MJ15023.The MJ15003 and MJ15004 is also good and cheaper but beware of imitation buy only brands with the ON Logo(Formerly motorola).As far as I know only ALEXAN carries the original transistors.As soon as I get back from Vacation I will give you the details on how to improve your amp.

guys thank you very much for sharing your knowlege, I will buy also MJ15003 and MJ15004 and compare the performance of the two in the actual circuit. MGR I will be waiting for your return. But how can I solved the unstable DC offset of this amlifier.

best regards,

noel
:angel:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.