How cool is this forum?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been just soaking it in for a few weeks now. We live in the best time for this hobby. The free tools and info at our fingertips is pretty unbelievable. I really feel like I'm floundering on the shoulders of giants when I'm working out these design challenges getting it all working but not understanding 9/10 of the science. A big smile on my face when I see people all across the world chiming in on a single, obscure, topic that I happen to wonder about too. I've been holding back but I have tons of questions and findings to puzzle over. All in good time... I'll start the next thread with "SLOW I need ..." funny how people want this all to happen so FAST! Well, not ready to jump in just yet. Sipping on a reasonably priced blend. 46%, natural color... but I had to get in on it a bit. See you soon.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I started a speaker guy. The sig line is just my build guides.

I've built my last pair of speakers, Linkwitz LXminis. I don't have the room for the LX521s and the Minis do 98% of the 521s and have all the magic, every bit. Sigfried is a genius, particularly as he wrote the book (literally) on speaker design. These are his best work

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Studiophone - Yes, unquestionably "desert island" quality. And I haven't even built the subs yet!

LXmini Challenge

Long story short, the acoustics at Burning Amp Fest are, to put it politely, absolutely and completely horrible. Ft. Mason is a concrete box with nothing soft and nothing to break up any waves. Most demo sound is pretty rough as the rooms are always fighting you.

Over the years it was very obvious to me that the Linkwitz speakers were 1) the only truly good sound there, and 2) even with the severe handicap of the rooms it wasn't just the best of the show, but was actually, seriously good. So I built a pair, and have never looked back.

Yes, the minis look odd, and yes they require a leap of faith as they require multiple amp channels and an eternal electronic crosover or DSP. But they are unlike anything you've ever heard, and truly amazing. The magic is incredible. If I had a bigger listening room I'd build LX521.4's in a heartbeat -I've help build 2 pair of those for friends and they are the best speaker any of us have ever heard, period.

Welcome StudioPhone!
I am sure you will love your stay here.

Studiophone - Yes, unquestionably "desert island" quality. And I haven't even built the subs yet! <snip>

Interesting, not really the direction I plan on doing (more the HE route, with some horns and such). However the fact that I already have a MiniDSP on the way and plan on doing some multi channel amps for an active setup piques my interest.
The fact that I'd have to pay for the plans does put me off though. I am use to DIY being free for everyone.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
PsyCLown - Think of it as an engineering fee. The performance is so amazingly good you will want to send more money. Seriously.

studiophone - Absolutely awesome. I'll save you the question and just say, build the Aleph J.

I'll also mention that when comparing the Pass Class-A designs to each other, its analogous to standing in a garage filled the the most incredible Ferrari collection ever, and asking which is the most Italian sports car... :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have a 6-channel Classe CAV-75 that's my one-box solution. It's fantastic. I've used Modded Crown D-75's, an 8-channel Rotel, and various DIY amps, they all have been great with the LXmini.

The Pass ASP (the one Papa showed in his presentation at BAF) is wonderful and I generally prefer it to the MiniDSP 4x10HD, but the MiniDSP has a number of advantages as well, so it's not a clear-cut advantage to one or the other. The standard MiniDSP 2x4 is good to get thing working, and should be used since it's still amazing, but the HD is much, much better.

The ASP has pots on each channel, so you can mix 'n match amps, and that's very nice. You can also do it with the MiniDSP, in software, and it works great.

The ASP will be available when it's available. No idea when, but honestly, I'll be the first to know and everybody will be informed about 0.2uS after I've got the OK to share. Expect the ASP as a diy project through the store. Hopefully the 3-way crossover (LXmini+subs) will be along soon as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.