Hello from the UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

So I've just finished my first audio project and now am very enthusiastic to start my second. I have just build a pair of backloaded horn speakers based on a model seen from Vietnam. I am extremely pleased with the result as I was not expecting the bass that they produce.

The system I currently run is as follows

SRM tech Reference Turntable
Linn Trokia Cartridge
Dynovector MKIII Phono Stage
IXOS Ixotica Interconnects
ARCAM FMJ Intergrated (Powering my tweeters)
ARCAM FMJ Power Amp ( my 6.5" cones)
Current speakers before the horns were Dali Mentor 2's (86.4db)
Articam Stands with Ecos MS4.42 cables

Now the sensitivity of my new speakers are around the 96db mark I would love to change my amps and build a pre-amp and pair of Monoblocks to suit.

Any advice on a good project to start this would be greatly appreciated the new backloaded horns have a pair of Fostex FE 208 EZ Sigma Fullrange drivers I have read that "For best utilization I strongly recommend a SE tube amplifierwith a DHT. My favorite matched amplifier is the classic WE91 and its clones."

I am completely new to this it will be my first attempt at an amp, however i'm not a complete idiot and like a challenge and learning new skills. I have some very basic electrical knowledge by that I mean I can wire a house as am a tradesman.

Again hello to all and any advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

Chris :)

Welcome to the forums. Amplifiers can make for a nice project but aren't always the best when it comes to first electronics projects. High voltages and high currents combined with electrical parts can make for a lot of smoke and be dangerous. This is even more true for valve amplifiers that run off of much higher DC voltages when compared to silicon based parts.

If you're dead set on amplifiers then you could start off with buying some of the class D amplifier kits based around some of the chip amps, such as the TPA3116/TPA3118/TPA3251/TPA3250/TPA3244/TPA3245. These run from lower voltages and will work well even powered from a ~20V laptop brick.

Certainly there's far less DIY with these, as they are quite plug and play already, but you could have fun modding a TPA3116/3118 board for some experience. Plus lots of the full range crowd seem to enjoy the way these sound with their speakers. They aren't expensive either, so this could just be a nice way of having some fun.

My recommendation for a full DIY affair, in terms of soldering a complete project etc, would actually be a phono stage. Low voltages, low currents and can be powered by batteries to start with until you know the whole thing works properly.

I'm not a vinyl junkie myself, so have very little knowledge of actual products, but I am fairly sure that there will be ready to assemble kits out there over a range of complexities. From simple, op-amp based, through hole to fully discrete with surface mount parts and everything in between.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.