Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Howdy from Chicago
Howdy from Chicago
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 11th January 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
nixternal is offline nixternal  United States
diyAudio Member
Howdy from Chicago
Default Howdy from Chicago

Quick intro, name's Rich, from the Chicagoland area, currently freelance as an open source and Linux developer and consultant. Been a Linux developer since the mid-90s. Over the past couple of years I have worked on various media related setups for different industries & started messing around with the small computers & micro controllers. Couple of months back took one of the many Pi's I have lying around, attached one of those Pi DAC's to it, and picked up a super cheap & crappy set of USB powered speakers.

And now I'm here. For the past month I have stalked, not lurked, the amplifier and speaker forums with a vengeance. Truthfully, even with my background & love of hacking, I can find myself overwhelmed at times.

I'm looking to create my first decent setup, for desktop use, so I can listen to music while I work. I already have the home theater setup, which I rarely use because 90% of the time I am at the work bench/computer or sleeping

Crazy stuff in here. Do I want Class D or Class A/B? Do I just want simple full-range, or do I want multi-way? I don't need, nor really want a sub, I just want a simple, clean setup that sounds awesome. With the amps do I DIY one, or just go get something like a NAD D 3020 (v2 just came out). Do I want to spend that much for something that isn't going to be room filing & just near-field?

You see, I could keep on, but it is preventing me from stalking new posts and replies, so I gotta go!

Thanks everyone for the info I have found thus far!
Old 11th January 2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator
Howdy from Chicago
Welcome to diyAudio Rich Sounds like you are going to have fun.
Old 11th January 2018, 06:59 PM   #3
nixternal is offline nixternal  United States
diyAudio Member
Howdy from Chicago
Thanks Mooly! Looks like I actually joined in November, so I've been stalking for 2 months I wonder how many times I have filled up a Parts Express cart & emptied it so far?
Old 11th January 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Howdy from ChicagoHide this!Advertise here!