Hi from Germany

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Albeit a little belated I would like to say...

Hi to all,

I am from Germany and I like sound, music, speakers, electronics, it and 45 degree angles.

Since I learned quite a lot from this wonderful forum and the nice people freely sharing their knowledge here, a big thanks to all of you at this point, I would like to give something back and contribute although I don`t know much compared to others.

A little history about myself...

I built my first speakers at the age of 13. Of course I had no clue of tsp LOL.
That didn't stop me from building a ~ 1.80 x 0.60 x 0.60 m "transmissionline" sub incorporating a 15 inch woofer I took out of a leslie speaker cab which I got from my then guitar school. They were about to throw it away since the amp was showing signs of rust all over due to humidity/age and they needed storage space. I had to move it alone for a distance of maybe 3 km but since I saw a giant speaker sitting in there I was excited and it wasn`t that hard after all.

In a book from the library about high end speakers I had seen such transmissionline enclosures and since I wanted deep bass I figured I had to build big.
Of course the line was too long (many bends) and the tuning way too deep. Looking back, the tuning must have been way below 20 hz.

Before I even heard anything when turning up the volume the windows would shake and chink and at substantially more power you finally heard quite deep bass. The output was more earthquake-like than actual audible spl.
I still remember the people which were living a few houses away complaining about loud noise or vibrations to my parents almost every time after I listened to loud music but interestingly I didn`t hear anything from the people living right next to our house. One time even the ceiling lighting in the kitchen, which was located right below my room, crashed onto the kitchen floor.
Nevertheless it was fun and thinking about it I miss this box a little.

I still love to build speakers, especially subwoofers.

Right now I am in the process of fine-tuning a 6th order bandpass enclosure (flat to 28hz) of which I will use maybe 16 to 32 for my soundsystem as subs for outdoor reggae/dub.
Also I need to learn about tubes and preamps since I want at least 2 balanced stereo tube preamps in my soundsystem.

Kind thanks,
Matthias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.