Hello all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New here figured I'd join to try to get some help on a project I'm planning to start once funds become available but need to plan things to figure out needed budget.

Basically I've recently needed to downsize my audio system due to having to move into a very small apartment and am now feeling a bit down due to only having a small altec lancing 2.1 speaker set being used for my music and gaming audio needs. So I'm planning to build a super compact audio system into my desk but being as I've never worked with such small subwoofer drivers i could use some help on that front. I'm thinking the Tang Band W3-186S Mini Subwoofers will be a good choice and I've seen many say they are great in a 4" (inside) square sealed box but not much info on ported enclosure volume or builds (i know that ported will need a bit more space but this would be the biggest part of the system and attached to the under side of the desktop) also not sure what the thinnest wood and type of would i should use would be.

Not expecting answers in this post but maybe pointed to what areas of the forum would be good for this type of build.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Welcome to diyAudio :)

I'm not quite sure with your speakers... if you mean using a single driver to cover all the audio range then I'd say the 'Full Range' forum.
Thanks

I'm planning to use the Tang Band W3-186S Mini Subwoofers as dedicated low frequency range subs and use a pair of full range drivers above the desktop but the full range is easy to deal with. Its figuring out the tiny subwoofer enclosures that has me a bit lost. If this was 8" or larger like what im used to then I would be all set but I've never missed with subs that list sealed at 0.01 ft^3 and ported 0.03 ft^3 and being they are so small I know volume tuning will need to be almost dead on or they will not function as they should.

It sounds like you need to ask this over in the Subwoofer forums. I'm afraid speaker design isn't one of my specialities and so I can't directly advise.
Thanks.

I'm not bad with design and building in general but... larger subs you tend to have a bit of (for lack of better wording) wiggle room but my research had lead to the conclusion that on these mini subs when they say 0.03 they bean it and 0.031 or 0.029 will throw the performance of them off. If i get fed up trying to figure this out i may say the heck with it and use a single 8 or 10 inch shallow mount sub but these mini subs should allow me to use thinner wood and take up less space even in ported enclosures.

I'll see what i can find on other parts of the forum

Definitely worth you asking I would say, even if the answers are negative and the guys that understand this don't recommend the approach. Otherwise you will always wonder.

Good luck :)
That was my thoughts. Figure to ask for help/input & get answers one way or another than buy stuff and try it and not get what im after and kick myself after.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.