Hello from Scotland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I am a visual artist with an interest in sonic sculpture. Recently, I have become fascinated by full range front-loaded petal horn speakers ---- how incredible they can sound, and how beautiful they can look. My intention is to build my own speakers with hand tools and the use of recycled materials. Hornresp has become my 'new best friend' and by studying its input parameters, (what they mean, what they do) I have learned quite a lot about audio theory.

DiyAudio has become an invaluable part of my ongoing research, and I look forward to (eventually!) making my own contributions to the forum.

Hello everyone,

I am a visual artist with an interest in sonic sculpture. Recently, I have become fascinated by full range front-loaded petal horn speakers ---- how incredible they can sound, and how beautiful they can look. My intention is to build my own speakers with hand tools and the use of recycled materials. Hornresp has become my 'new best friend' and by studying its input parameters, (what they mean, what they do) I have learned quite a lot about audio theory.

DiyAudio has become an invaluable part of my ongoing research, and I look forward to (eventually!) making my own contributions to the forum.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 70
Hello David,

It is kind of you to respond - even though I am not entirely sure I got your message! I have already used Hornresp to design and build a metre length conical/exponential horn for use as a passive microphone amplifier for making field recordings of birdsong and insect life. It is like an audio telescope that brings everything nearer and clearer. The results encourage me to build something a lot bigger for recording sound reflected from the sides of a nearby mountain. Now that would be something..........

Hi Pano, would you like me to post up some sound clips? As a new member on probation, I'm not sure if this would be allowed by the moderators, as yet. So I will just talk about it for now until I get the OK. I have an Apogee 96k USB microphone going into an iPad, and although very good for recording acoustic instruments and vocals in a room, it does strain a bit when outdoors in the peace and quiet. If I roll up the gain to max, it gets a bit hissy and overloads on hard edged transients. The horn as a passive amplifier seems to overcome this somewhat, with a much better signal to noise ratio. On one recording, there is the collective hum of hundreds of bumblebees high up in the sycamores outside our house, combined with birdsong both near and far. It is so quiet here you can hear a car or a motorbike approaching from a couple of miles away. Harley's sound amazing :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You should be able to post attachments. MP3 or Wave is fine. You can change the extension, or put them in a zip file. File size limits here are low, so MP3 might be a good idea.
Or if you have them somewhere, you can link to them,

It is kind of you to respond - even though I am not entirely sure I got your message!

Hi tapestryofsound,

By way of explanation, you indicated that you were interested in petal horn loudspeakers, and possibly intended building one. I wasn't sure if you were aware that Hornresp could calculate the necessary petal dimensions, so I posted a quick clue :).

Pleased to hear that you are finding Hornresp to be useful.

Kind regards,

David

You should be able to post attachments. MP3 or Wave is fine. You can change the extension, or put them in a zip file. File size limits here are low, so MP3 might be a good idea.
Or if you have them somewhere, you can link to them,

Thank you for that Pano.

Actually, the recordings that I have made so far are several hours long! Give me a day or so, and I will put up some edited 30 second clips.

By way of explanation, you indicated that you were interested in petal horn loudspeakers, and possibly intended building one. I wasn't sure if you were aware that Hornresp could calculate the necessary petal dimensions, so I posted a quick clue :).

Pleased to hear that you are finding Hornresp to be useful.

Hi David,

Yes, incredibly useful! I have been researching various speaker drivers by downloading their spec sheets, then entering parameters into Hornresp as a pre-visualisation tool. It is very interesting to see how different waveguide shapes affect an individual driver's SPL response. That is: how it looks as a 3D sculptural form can determine how it can sound. Endless fun and fascination. :p

Kind regards,

tapestryofsound

Hi Pano and David,

Here as suggested is a set of mp3's in zip format. They are one minute long (normalised) audio clips from field recordings using a USB mic with a 1 metre conical/exponential horn working as a passive amplifier. I am really quite curious as to what you think of them.

Early days yet, although I am thinking ahead about something like a 2 metre horn for both recording and playback. My imagination tells me it would sound really pure - we will see :)

Do please forgive me for turning my introductory welcome into a thread!

Kind regards

tapestryofsound

Attachments

• birdsong and bumblebees in a sycamore tree.zip
    466 KB · Views: 21
  • birdsong and raindrops on a car roof.zip
    503.6 KB · Views: 21
  • rain shower on a car roof.zip
    468.5 KB · Views: 22
  • willow warbler and bumblebees in a sycamore tree.zip
    416.9 KB · Views: 18
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.