Hi from Canada

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on the digital temperature gauges for the amplifier, but it is a total disaster so far :bawling: I blew an IC, plus they are not reading the right temperatures and so on . I wasted so much time, I can not believe I built this huge amplifier project with very little problems and I can't put together some thing so simple :whazzat: They are universal display panels (volt, amp, temp) and they work fine as volt and amp meters, but when I hook them up to the LM35DZ temperature sensor the don’t give me the right readings. I contacted the technical support guys to figure it out. I guess if I can’t get it working as a temp gauge I can connect one to the rail volts and the other as an amp gauge :cool: As for the amplifier it’s working great! I love it! It’s hard to explain how something sounds by writing, it has to be heard with your own ears! As soon as the weather starts getting cold again I will start building my four channel amp :smash: I like doing this type of work in the winter when the cars are stored and I don’t have much to do. Plus I want to make sure that it is reliable before spending another load of money:)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 167
Adamamp,

Go Flames! Who would have thought the Flames would go to the Stanley Cup final!

So your churing out guitar rigs down south now are ya?

Regards,
Gaucho

Well I did for one;) Go Flames go.

Will not be building amps for a while. My Mom is ill and thats why I am here in New England. Cape Cod rawks if you like the sea side. Boston is cool for night life but kinda scary it is so big. Hope I am not to be here for winter though. Got very seasoned to the mild coastal climate in the lower mainland. I could have slept on the beach 9 months out of the year if had to. Take good care.

Adam

OPTI-MOS PAT said:
I can not believe I built this huge amplifier project with very little problems and I can't put together some thing so simple :whazzat:

LOL, it happens to me all the time. Well maybe abit less lately.
One of the best things about tube stuff is that they are thermal devices. I do not need to heat my house in the winter if I run all my amps at once:D Later, good luck with the Temp gauge!

Hi, just thought I'd post a pic of some speakers I built. The drivers are shielded JBL's and the tweeters are Bohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR. The cabinets are oak veneer w/ soild wood around the outside so I could router the edges. Inside they have hard wood bracing and are lined with acoustic tile and stuffed with polyester batting.

They sound good but the tweeter outs classes the drivers. I was going to use some pricey Audium drivers but decided not to bother since these are just for my TV.

BTW I have some shorty headers and a 3:55 ring and pinion set coming for my mustang!

:cool:

damn my pic is to big to post, I'll have to squish it...

Hi Gaucho,

Sorry for the late reply. I just got rogers high speed internet and my email address has changed, I will change that now. Nice speakers, did you build the cabinets yourself? 3:55 gears are perfect for your mustang, thats what I have in my stang, you will feel a big differance with those gears!!!:bigeyes: :hot: :D

Hi Pat,

Nice to hear from you. I built the cabinets from scratch and I am very pleased with how they turned out. The picture is sorta fuzzy I'll take a better one and post it in the near future.

The turkey who sold me the gear set sent me a 3:55 pinion and a 3:73 ring gear so I'm still getting that sorted out. In my car mags I've seen alot of before and after ET's with different gears sets and it looks like the most bang for your buck modification. I hope to put my headers on this week but I don't know if I will see much improvement because even though the the car has Flowmaster mufflers it still has the restrictive stock cats.

Regards,
Gaucho

OPTI-MOS PAT said:
Hi Gaucho,

Long time no here. Did you ever get those gears on your car? Did you build or get any thing new lately. I’m looking for a 2003 Lincoln LS before the ugly winter gets here.:bawling:

By the way nice speaker cabinets!

Nice to hear from you Pat! I just brought my Mustang out of storage (in Sask.) on Saturday! I started the gear swap yesterday, I need to put new bearings on the diff so I got stalled up, I wasn't planning on changing the bearings but existing ones they had some scoring on them. I'm going shopping for a puller tomorrow. God knows I'm no mechanic! Never having touched an 8.8 before I now really appreciate the removable carrier of the 9".

A Lincoln LS, sweet! Good luck with that! Any special reason you want an '03? So what do you think of the new Mustangs?

Since we last talked I have done a lot of tinkering, mostly mods to commercial gear. I have aquired a rather large op-amp collection. Some years ago my father gave me a old Eico integrated tube amp that he purchased as a kit in '65. A few weeks ago I rewired it so I could use the Svetlana 6L6GC output tubes that were given to me, I also added alot of extra power supply filtering. That old Eico sounds very nice, it always sounded good but now it's much better. I actually played it for my Dad tonight, he was impressed with the sound. A father son effort...with a 40 year split on the effort! :D

I picked up a Van den Hul Frog cartridge for my turntable, hand made by Van den Hul himself! I also purchased a HP339A distortion analyzer from an engineer in the U.S., sort of a cool toy but not exactly the sort of thing one uses everyday.

Nice to here you have the Mustang out!:D I pull mine out tomorrow. I need to do the water pump before I can drive it (Original 19 year old pump):smash: ! I just put new rims and tires on the wife’s Vette, looks real good! I told you about those gears, they make the car come alive, it’s much more fun to drive… Say good bye to your rear tires!!!!!!!!

I’m looking for 03 Lincoln LS because they made a lot of upgrades that year, mainly more horse power (280 compared to 252) 0-60 in 6.4 Sec ¼ in 14.9, Not bad for a family car!! :devilr:

I still didn’t finish my 4 channel amp yet, I’m running out of money!!!:bawling: I was supposed to buy the parts this winter, but I bought a Ski-Doo MXZ 700 instead!!:confused:

Sounds like you got quite a collection of audio gear! Your father must have been happy to here that old tube again…. And that turn table sounds like a sweet thing.:D

OPTI-MOS PAT said:
Sounds like you got quite a collection of audio gear! Your father must have been happy to here that old tube again…. And that turn table sounds like a sweet thing.:D

It was fun to play that old amp and some familiar tunes that Dad used to play from when my brothers and I were growing up. A real trip down nostalgia lane

I sold the Antique Sound Lab amplifier I had on Ebay a month or so, but I may buy an Golden Tube SE-40 (40W SE class-A) amplifier from a friend of mine (he has three) once I scrape some cash together. The amp needs a little work but I don't think I've ever heard a better amp once modified with a few choice parts. But then again one of those 5.0 BBK intake manifolds is rather tempting too. :D I may not have a Ski-Doo but I do I know what is is to be torn between to loves!:bawling: ;)

P.S. Hey Adam...if your still alive drop us a line!:)

Gaucho said:
I may buy an Golden Tube SE-40 (40W SE class-A) amplifier from a friend of mine (he has three) once I scrape some cash together.

Hey Pat, good news! I did buy the Golden Tube Audio SE-40 from my buddy! :D I have already bought all new parts for a major rebuild, the only original parts I will leave on the board is the fuse holder and a few resistors. :smash: I will also add a bias mod of my own design to allow for a little more range of adjustment.

Edit:

p.s. How's the search for an LS going?:cool:

Hi Gaucho,

How is your golden tube SE-40 going I would like to see some photos of it if you can? I put the LS on hold because I bought new wheels for the vette:D and right after that I blow the clutch:headbash: !! There goes $6,000 for tires rims and clutch!!!!!!! It’s not like the Mustang that’s for sure!! :no:

Hi Pat, Wow that vette sounds like an expensive affair! The SE-40 had its rebuild and I've really been enjoying it for the last couple of weeks, the sound is amazing! My little bias mod works really nice too. I'll take some pictures of it and try to get 'em posted for you. Take care.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.