Hi from Canada

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One day I hope to break down and build my own SS power amp(just for Bass

adamamp,

Once I finish another 4 more these SS amplifiers, as you would say it, I want to build a tube amp. Believe it or not I am 38 and I never heard or seen a tube amp in action!!!!
But I still want to build one. I have a vintage set of PBS speakers (well 89-90 I guess you can consider that vintage) they should make a good match. When the time comes maybe you can give me some advice? :D

OPTI-MOS PAT,

My father also had a '68 Mustang, a GT fastback with 302 and 4spd that he bought new. Yeah the introductions is cool, funny it's not more popular.

Adamamp,

I had guessed your user name was a play on Adam Ant the musician, haven't seen the cartoon. As for my projects once I finish the case for my Aleph project I plan to build a preamp based on the BOSOZ. I also have a 200 watt push-pull class A mosfet amp I designed this past fall and would like to build, then I could enter the world of bi-amping. In the short term I want to tweak the crossovers on my ol' Kef 105/IIs.

Cheers,

Gaucho

BOSOZ:

http://www.passdiy.com/legacy.htm

Re: Cars and Guitars

Gaucho said:
I have a '88 Mustang GT and 1969 Cougar Xr-7. I also have a '70 Cougar. As for guitar amps: a 5150 halfstack and a Laney Pro Tube Lead 100 w/ Marshall cabinet.

Gaucho

Wow, nice choices for cars and amps. What year is the Laney?
How much more gain does the 5150 have?
I love old Fords, I have had a few 67s(Fairlane, Falcon, Galaxy)
But then I found a 67 Beaumont, and I have been hooked on the idea of a solid frame ever since:)
Right now I am still recovering(spiritually) from rollin a scooped up 1980 Toyota 4x4. The next one I build will have roll bars over the engine compartment :devilr: I got hooked on 4x4s, kinda easy when you live in BC.

OPTI-MOS PAT said:
... Believe it or not I am 38 and I never heard or seen a tube amp in action!!!!
But I still want to build one. I have a vintage set of PBS speakers (well 89-90 I guess you can consider that vintage) they should make a good match. When the time comes maybe you can give me some advice? :D

Haha, I am 44. Been playin guitar since I was 11, and just bought my first digital effects processor. I have always been hesitant to put any SS in my signal path(except at low FQ, damm purest anyways) but I was trying to design the perfect FX loop and needed one for testing:D
The speakers would be fine but I am not sure how good the tweeters are in that model. As a creature of habit I have used Vifa tweeters since Dynasaurs and Dynacos walked the earth. Most, if not all, of the Sonic benifits of tube amplification are in the upper FQs so if you go that route, don't hestitate to use the best tweeters you can afford.

PS hope I don't tarnish the Canuck reputation for spelling:shutup:

Gaucho said:

I had guessed your user name was a play on Adam Ant the musician, haven't seen the cartoon.

I wonder if the musician seen the cartoon;)
Bi-amping and even 5 way electronic XOs have so many benifits. The biggest advantage IMO is that you get rid of the wattage gobbling passive XO coils :smash:
But beware, a poorly designed electronic XOs can introduce terrible phase distortion and other irregularities. 18db Butterworth filters seem to work best from my experience.
Rock on:cool:

Wow, nice choices for cars and amps. What year is the Laney?
How much more gain does the 5150 have?

The Laney is an '88. The 5150 has way more gain, to the point if one were to turn the pre-gain up on the lead channel past '7' or so the distortion becomes so saturated you start to lose definition. The Laney just has a nice crunch to it and sounds better clean.

Other tubey items in my collection that may intersest you are my old Icho ST-30 w/ Williamson transformers as well as an Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT single-ended class A amp.

Ps what do ya got for a Gee-tar collection?

Gaucho

Gaucho said:

The Laney is an '88. The 5150 has way more gain, to the point if one were to turn the pre-gain up on the lead channel past '7' or so the distortion becomes so saturated you start to lose definition. The Laney just has a nice crunch to it and sounds better clean.

Other tubey items in my collection that may intersest you are my old Icho ST-30 w/ Williamson transformers as well as an Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT single-ended class A amp.

Ps what do ya got for a Gee-tar collection?

Gaucho
Laneys rule for classic rock. I just built a 5150 clone and I see now what real hi-gain is. I used to think a Plexi was hot ;)
Icho I have not heard although I have had a pile of Eico stuff.
Right now I have a Vantage VS695, not bad for Jap crap. I miss my 78 Ibanez Blazer(best Strat I have ever played), some dork walked off with it at a gig one night. If I won the Lotto i would be lookin for a 69 triple PU Black Beauty LP. How about you?

Adam,

For now I have a Strat and a Ibanez S540. I sold my '72 Les Paul Custom to a friend a couple of years ago when I was in school. :bawling:

Good news: a guy I met is gonna bring over his '72 SG this week. The SG has a one piece walnut body with soap bars and he wants to get rid of it! :D

Regards,

Gaucho

Update,

I received my power supply parts, and started wiring things up. Here is Randy Slone’s new low impedance power supply board, I’m using 8 10,000uf caps but the board can hold 10 caps. The transformer is an 800VA 50+50. Anyway back to work!! I will let you guys know how it sounds very soon!!!!!!

Attachments

• 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 193
Hey guys,

It WORKS!!!! Let me tell you my hart was pumping when it came down to flicking that switch!!!:cannotbe: I spent so much time building this amp, and it could go up in smoke just like that! :hot: But it didn’t. I am truly amazed on how it sounds; it has a nice tight bass and a wicked top end. It’s driving two sets of speakers, 15” Cerwin Vega D9’s and Energy’s C7’s and it has power to spare!!! It replaced my 200Watt RMS NAD and my 300Watt RMS Kenwood power amp!!! And it sounds way better. I am very pleased. This was my very first amplifier and won’t be my last it was too much fun. I am going to make it into a four channel amp, and then who knows maybe a six channel after that!!!!!! I’ll have to build it in the family room because I won’t be able to lift it!!!!!!!!!!!:bawling:I still have some work to finish off, like the LED temperature gauges I built for it, mainly for looks but its nice too see what temperature the amps are at. I will post a picture when I finish it. Back to work:smash:

OPTI-MOS PAT said:
Hey guys,

It WORKS!!!! Let me tell you my hart was pumping when it came down to flicking that switch!!!:cannotbe: I spent so much time building this amp, and it could go up in smoke just like that! :hot: But it didn’t. I am truly amazed on how it sounds; it has a nice tight bass and a wicked top end. It’s driving two sets of speakers, 15” Cerwin Vega D9’s and Energy’s C7’s and it has power to spare!!! It replaced my 200Watt RMS NAD and my 300Watt RMS Kenwood power amp!!! And it sounds way better. I am very pleased. This was my very first amplifier and won’t be my last it was too much fun. I am going to make it into a four channel amp, and then who knows maybe a six channel after that!!!!!! I’ll have to build it in the family room because I won’t be able to lift it!!!!!!!!!!!:bawling:I still have some work to finish off, like the LED temperature gauges I built for it, mainly for looks but its nice too see what temperature the amps are at. I will post a picture when I finish it. Back to work:smash:

Congrats on that! Now finish it :D ;) :)

Hey Guys,

OPTI-MOS PAT,

The Oracle turntables are made in Quebec, mine is a Delphi MkII and is about 20 years olds or so but in great shape, the MkV is the current model. The three pillars suspend the table, there are tuneable springs inside them that decouple through rubber parts, the suspension is a low pass filter (3.5Hz) and is very effective against vibration. I bought it from a guy in NewYork who had the table listed on AudiogoN.

I ordered some of the MkV upgrades, I'm hoping they will show up this week. The tonearn is an Alphason HR-100S, one piece titanium arm with ceramic bearings. The cartridge is a Benz-Micro Gold low output MC that feeds a REGA Fono MC.

I am very happy with the table, it sounds great. It's a blast playing music I haven't heard for years. I want to get a a little better cartridge before to long, maybe a Clearaudio MM or a Shelter MC.

How's that amp treating you? LED temperature gauges operational yet?

Adamamp,

Go Flames! Who would have thought the Flames would go to the Stanley Cup final!:flame:

So your churing out guitar rigs down south now are ya?

Regards,
Gaucho

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.