Hello Amp Builders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not exactly a new member, but I never really spent much time on diyAudio over the years because I haven't have the time to take advantage of the knowledge available. That may be changing in the next 6 months or so. I'm actually getting close to retirement age.

I have always wanted to build amplifiers, but don't even know how to get started. Ultimately I'd like to try to build a high quality tube amp or (even better) something like a First Watt F5, but I figure I have a lot to learn first. In looking around diyAudio, it looks like purchasing and building the Amp Camp Amp Kit might be good way to get my foot in the door.

I'd be interested in knowing how people got started and how they developed their skills and expanded their knowledge. I know nothing, so almost any information would help. (For example, what tools do I need?)

Anyway, just reading the threads makes it sound like fun and I'd like to be part of it.

Thanks

Joined 2011
I have always wanted to build amplifiers, but don't even know how to get started.
Ultimately I'd like to try to build a high quality tube amp or (even better) something
like a First Watt F5.

Then I'd go for the F5 for your first amp. It won't be any harder than the others,
and you'll still only need a DVM and some basic hand tools. A scope, generator,
and load would also be helpful for building any amp.

Last edited:
But there are a lot of things I don't know, like ...

* what parts do I need?
* where do I get them?
* how do I assemble them?
* how do I test the assembled amplifier?

The list goes on and on. I think I will need to work my way up to something as sophisticated as an F5 (although I'd love to build one).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.