New to the community. Looking to design and build. Need advice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I recently inhereted a massive record collection from a family friend who was a professional antique dealer.

I am an electrical engineer who works in the space program designing low noise pre-amps for particle instruments -- my EE chops are sufficient to quickly pick up the audio electronics stuff. I recently picked up the Bob Cordell book and the Douglas Self small-signal audio design book. Great books!

However, as far as defining a goal for my first project I am not sure where to start. I don't want to set a goal which is too lofty and have nothing ever get done. On the other hand, I don't want to do too little! I'd really like to do a full-custom designed system eventually (speakers and all!). But perhaps I should start with purchasing a turn-table... building a speaker kit (or having it built somewhere), buying a power amp, building a pre-amp. Something like that.

Can someone with more experience help me to 'define the problem' so that I can get started?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.