Introduction from Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I live in Brisbane, Australia which is a city of about one million people. It is sub-tropical. DINKS were people who had "Double Income and No Kids" my wife and I are FINKS which stands for "Five Infants and No Cash" This means that simple DIY is the only option for us to get decent sound. We have a wide range of musical tastes: Baroque, Joni Mitchell, Vaughan Williams, Barbra Striesand, Dire Straits, The Who some folk, some jazz. As Australia used to be a Britsh colony my first DIY gear (30yrs ago) tended to be of UK origin: KEF with Celestion tweeters. I have a second hand John Linsley-Hood 10 watt Class-A amp and mid-fi CD and cassette deck. I've enjoyed visiting DIY.COM over the years and decided to become a member now as 80% of the kids have left home and I want to upgrade the system. Jonathan Bright

The KEFs are the later model of the B110 and the tweeters are HF1300's as used in Spendor BC1, Rogers Monitors etc. At the moment they are in a clone of the BBC LS3/5A box with an over damped 2nd order filter for the B110. That will be the first thing upgraded with a copy of the LS3/5A cross-over for the bass unit. I should also have mentioned that I'm still basically in analogue mode with a Connoisseur belt-drive t/table, an Aussie unipivot arm and Stanton 681EEE. Thats the nicest part of the system as I got Garrott Brothers to fit a Wienz parabolic stylus to it many years ago.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jonathan Bright said:
B110/HF1300/Connoisseur belt-drive t/table, an Aussie unipivot arm and Stanton 681EEE./Garrott Brothers

The HF1300 isn't all that extended, but have an excellent celebrity factor. If it is the big magnet version, you might look at flogging them on eBay and using the procedes to pick up a set of Vifas or SEAs or somesuch.

The conny is a real sleeper, a decent TT for no budget -- a good plinth and a stiff full-size mat can make a big difference. Is the arm the Aus version of the Mayware Forumla 4? I'm not a big fan of the Stanton, but having been Garrotted, it is probably a different beast.

dave

Yes the arm is near enough to identical with the Mayware Formula 4. I understand that there is a dispute as to where it originated. Some say that the Mayware is a copy of the Aussie one. (But this may just be Australian propaganda!) If you check it out it looks like it was originally designed to have mecury contact for the signal instead of wires at the pivot; just like the Keith Monks uni-pivot of many years ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.