Woof woof from New Zealand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone !!

I've been lurking on this website for a couple of months, just absorbing (& getting confused by) all the threads, and re-enthusing myself about all things audio.

I was amazed to find that some of the chip amps that I made dreams about using (about 10 yrs ago), then never did are still around today, and seem to be more popular than ever!!!

I studied Electrical & Electronic Engineering at University in England, but focused more on the digital & communications side, and ended up working in IT then moving to New Zealand. So, sadly my knowledge of electronics is so rusty that it can be considered irrelevant really!!

Anyhow, a few days ago I got off my bum and threw together a Chip Amp (it's not really worthy of the GainClone label !!) based on an LM3876. I used the cheapeast components around, so I'm sure there's room for improvement. - So here's where I can hopefully get some help.

To any other Kiwis out there - where can I get good quality components from? I see that RS do Panasonic FC's, but what about resistors, WIMA caps, and other stuff?? (If you're not from NZ, you may not realised that we're quite small (so not many suppliers), and quite isolated, making international purchases more difficult...

Expect to see more posts from me in Chip Amps soon....

Steve

Ahhh, sourcing components, the bane of our collective lives !

RS in Oz have some FC series caps but not all values, when modding my ART DIO/O I ended up just ordering the lot from DigiKey in the USA, even with the $Aus at $US 0.60 it was a similar price including shipping altrgough they do have minimum order quantities,

cheers,
Ray

Jaycar on Kent Terrace do a few interesting bits and pieces, and DSE has some pretty good Hitano caps ( I like their bipolars )

Apart from that, the internet is a good option... Although I do know a few people in wellington who have some good stocks of various compnents.

I mainly build valve gear so order stuff from places like www.angela.com

Go the Hurricanes! :)

Hi, nice to see another NZ DIYer :cool:

"where can I get good quality components from? I see that RS do Panasonic FC's, but what about resistors, WIMA caps, and other stuff??"

Ummm.....
WIMA > I don't think you can get new/ NOS wima caps in NZ easily... Try surplus dealers... Some in Auckland used to have NOS wima caps... I bought them all. :smash:

Hi quality resistors > BC (Byschlag) resistors are excellent!They are German made and are frequently used by AUDIO NOTE. You can source them from 'Farnell in One' easily, in a dirt cheap price.:2c: Most American dealers charge heaps on them.:$:

Nice to see you! :wave:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.