Learn more about audio even in Montana?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At least one good thing about the Internet is how it has and continues to connect people from all over the world. Too bad I only know the English language, and I still mess it up sometimes.

Born in Mississippi - lived in Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana. Old enough (49) to remember when taxes and insurance rates only increased every 5 to 10 years. Now they increase yearly or more often. Learned the "Golden Rule": Those with the most gold make the rules. Favorite hunting: Open season and no bag limit on all politicians. Looking for a better country in which to live.

Worked as a ee from 1979 to 1993. Wife became paralyzed from accident and now I'm a caregiver and house spouse. I'm an excellent cook.

Became involved in audio when my wife made friends with a songwriter named Kostas. Kostas likes the old Fender and Gibson Guitar Amplifiers. My wife volunteered me to repair some of these lifeless tube amps. I had tube theory in 1975, which helps a little. Working with 400 volts DC is a little scary.

I may understand a little bit about audio. The artist/musician records vocals, musical instruments, etc., and sometimes likes to add distortion (from a tube amp for example) and/or special effects, and this is music production. These days they might even use VST (Virtual Studio Technology). If I like this music then I need to reproduce it without adding or taking away from the original production. However, from all of my reading about modern reproduction, all the pieces of the reproduction system seem to add their own unique color. For each different audio amplifier with everything else in the system unchanged, there seems to always be someone that can hear differences. These audio listening experts describe what they hear in great detail using figurative methods beyond my comprehension or imagination.

My current project is in the analysis stage. I'm using PSPICE to simulate a solid-state power amp without the conventional differential input stage. No opamps! Most of the feedback is local and degenerative. Just a little global feedback to reduce harmonic distortion and lower output impedance. Large signal bandwidth about 1 MHz. One-volt peak input 1 Hz to 1 MHz equals 30 volts peak output. Of course this is all theoretical with PSPICE and most likely will not work on the bench. Must spend money and expend labor making a PCB and adding the parts to prove it won't work. Of course, I will get a huge dose of frustration as a bonus, and I may actually learn something useful.

Hopefully what I learn from others on this forum will increase my pleasure and decrease my self-inflicted pain.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Forget 1.618:1

Like the "Golden Rule".

What? No differential pair? Is this allowed?

As you say, PSPICE is very useful, but there's nothing like actually connecting it all up. PCBs take time and are awkward to modify, so why not knock it up first on a breadboard? You'd be amazed at what you can get away with if you take a bit of care. I once made a 4.43361875MHz phase comparator on breadboard that was comfortably accurate to +/- 1 degree.

Agreed, you have to be careful with 400V. See you over at the "Tubes" section? Welcome to the forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.