Hello from Sydney

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of building the "Honey Badger" power amplifier and even quit my job so I could give it the time it deserves. I was looking for ideas, knowledge, inspiration and all the rest. Then I stumbled upon the Badger...

I have purchased the following speakers (2nd hand) for the amp:

1x Martin Audio EM150 sub, 2x 10" (400 - 500W)
2x JBL Professional Control 29AV (150W continuous, 300W peak)

The plan is to use one sub and a speaker for 4R on both channels.

I am painting the JBL's exterior various ridiculous colours so they blend onto absolutely nothing. I'll let you know how it goes.

The JBL's passive crossovers have burst capacitors so that's another project. Options are:
Replace the hard to find electrolytic capacitors. 2x 5uF, 2x 7uF and a 4uF.
Change caps to polypropylene but due to their size I would need to scrap the PCB and make an 'expanded' version.
Lots of fun to be had with that...

...and I need an enclosure too.

I can't wait to drive those speakers hard so I want to get the absolute most from the Badger. I have made this project my top priority and plan to use the best possible components I can lay my hands on. If I can't afford them, then the project will just have to wait until I can.

Me:

I live in Sydney, Australia. I was living in London for many years.
I have worked as a field technician for more than 10 years, more recently I have been doing tech support and operations for a fleet of ATM's (Cash machines) I am very computer literate and love to fix things.

I have been playing with wires and bulbs since I could pronounce them. We had a thing at primary school called "Red Nose Day" to raise money for the Red Cross. We would all ware red clown noses to school, so I decided to sit behind the couch while the news was on and wire a light globe into my nose with a wire leading behind my ear, through my shirt, and into my pocket where I had a battery and could flick it on and off. Genius for a five year old. (The principal thought I was going to burn the school down)

I look forward to browsing the site and participating once I'm wiser. I have never gotten involved in forums before, can't wait.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.