Here from edmonton.alberta.ca

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow, this really looks like a forum that I could get to liking. As if the traffics nice the layout is beautiful, the topic is dear to my heart, and the rules could make for a very enjoyable experience.

Now, about me...

I'm 20 years old, living with my girlfriend in edmonton.alberta.ca (canada not california for those that don't know what a map is)
and I have a HUGE facination/obsession with computers and electronics. I'm not really into the everyday stuff though, i'm more interested in taking equipment I have lying around, or find used for cheap, buying minimal equipment, and building something cool.

My experience in computers goes back to when I was 10 and my grandfather gave me a 80286 for my birthday, but for many years I was without a computer, and have only had the chance to get back into it for the last year or so. So, when I say something that may sound dumb, be patient, I probably make sense from a theoretical standpoint, I just don't understand all the variables involved ;) Anyways, I'll let you all get back to the fun stuff, and look forward to collaberating with you in the future.

Well, hello there...

I'm sure you'll ejouy your stay in the forum - although you seemed most focused on computers. This place is mainly about audio (and not directly about PC's although some of it involves software for design and simulations).

Btw.: Is this place subject to a friendly invasion of canuckleheads (as a canadian penpal called herself)? ;)

...and the never-ending battle of comments and teasing between canadians and americans seems to have found new arguments with the map-comment, eh? (if the americans ever understood the point, that is)
:D

See ya' around -
Jennice,
Denmark/Europe

well you know canadians.

Well you know us Canadians, when we see something we like to just run in guns blazing and takeover ;)
Just kidding of course, Americans and Canadians fight because we're like whiny little siblings, when it comes to a global scale, I personally can't think of two better friends. ( My opinions on the war are that we should be backing America up because they've always had our back, but come on, our last spy plane just went down and our helicopters should be in a war museum</rant> )

although you seemed most focused on computers. This place is mainly about audio (and not directly about PC's although some of it involves software for design and simulations).

Actually i'm mainly focused on cheap projects, home made technology. I'm not so much in it for the end result, as the information learned in the process of building it.
I only said computers because that is where my experience really lies.
I'm a new comer to electronics, audio, video, programming and numerous other areas, but i'm interested in them all.

I've been searching for a site that does EVERYTHING but it doesn't seem to exist, there's some good computer modding sites, forums for do it yourself audio that I could spend days reading ;) , good sites on electronics, but nothing with many different types of hardware "hacking" all collected into one resource. I don't think the moderators of this forum would like spam so you can email me at whisper@mircscripting.info if you know of one.

Re: well you know canadians.

whisper said:
I've been searching for a site that does EVERYTHING but it doesn't seem to exist, there's some good computer modding sites, forums for do it yourself audio that I could spend days reading ;) , good sites on electronics, but nothing with many different types of hardware "hacking" all collected into one resource.

While there might not be a lot of resources actually online, I've actually found this site to be one of the best hardware hacking sites in terms of knowledge. Just post a question in "Electronics & Parts" or "Everything Else" and you will often be wowed with the depth of responses. Just forgive the occasional doughnut response or two you get when you post these types of questions. :)

I've been searching for a site that does EVERYTHING but it doesn't seem to exist

Well that would be like asking a mechanics to cook an excellent plasma atom in the orbital station near Mars. You're better with the mechanics doing mechanic, the physics expert playing with plasma and the astronaut in the orbital station.

In other word, a site that would do it all, would most probably do it all on the surface not excelling at anything. As for this site, it is dedicated to audio and everything around it and it is excellent at it.

Post a few questions and you will realize that there is a lot of knowledge hidden here. Of course there is also a few flames emerging sometimes, but if you can live with them, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay :)

Welcome,
Sébastien

Welcome Whisper, from a fellow frostback :)

I only said computers because that is where my experience really lies.

The same could be said for myself, but I think you will find a number of computer/audio cross-links here. I have only recently acquired the diy-audio obsession but after building a power amp and a powered speaker, I'm in pretty deep.

My current projects: In addition to a preamp (battery powered?) and some speakers, I am toying around with building a 'computer component' for my rack. Currently salvaging an hp-evectra for the task - nice and quiet with sufficient power (hopefully). I am planning on interfacing all of my components with the pc for control via a web page and running it over wi-fi with a palm pilot.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.