Jeff the Engineer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm getting back into audio design, so here is the place to be for advice and feedback.

I'm an electronic engineer. My senior project was a new design for an RIAA Phono Preamp (which will give you an idea just how long ago I was a student).

While I didn't do it for credit, I also designed 3-way speakers using KEF drivers mounted in custom boxes; a transmission line tower for the woofer and a separate box for the mid-range and tweeter. The second box had an angled rear panel so that the sound waves would reflect downward rather than back towards the speaker cone. Additionally, I used automotive undercoating, 1" thick machine felt and Egyptian Long-Fiber Cotton for the sound deadening. Most of the audiophiles liked the design and considered the results better than the KEF speakers in the stores.

Regards,

Jeff

Welcome Jeff. Sounds like you have a well rounded DIY resume!

What project do you have on deck first?

Thank you.

I am currently posting in the Full Range Loudspeaker forum doing prep research for an injection-molded speaker case for a 4" driver (to be selected) that would include a horn driven by the rear side of the speaker's diaphragm. See Injection Molded Speaker Cabinets.

I will also be designing a Class D (maybe Class G) amplifier for it with a quality DSP to improve the response curves (still doing research on DSP ICs).

Jeff

Nice to have you here, Jeff. I think that a few of us would like to see more DSP functions added to DIY preamplifiers, too.

If you have experience in integrating DSPs, a high band count zero-phase equalizer board would be a pretty amazing addition to a preamp board. A few years ago, happened across software that possibly supported 500 to 1000 bands of equalization, for room and loudspeaker correction. The name escapes me; there is much software out there. The implications of such tools, when combined onto a modular DSP preamp board, might intrigue.

A couple years back, I was looking into MiniDSP's boards as the foundation for a DSP pre, but I found the manufacturer/customer relations were unhelpful. There is a market in DIY for advanced DSP functions and attention paid to dynamic response, low noise, and low distortion. The consumer market is flooded with power amps, and there are many, many DIY designs here and abroad. Don't let that discourage you if you have something unique in mind.

Cheers
Kouiky

Hi, Kouiky:

Sorry to hear that the miniDSP option is less than helpful, because my early research favored it (although I have yet to delve more fully into the TLV320AIC3254 and PCM3070).

I am curious that Texas Instruments' Audio DSP ICs require direct contact with a sales rep for information when the tech specs for all their other DSP offerings for different applications are readily available. They may have some ultra-fun stuff. I'm not ready to properly utilize their time right now, but I will keep researching other manufacturers' product lines.

Silicon Labs has Application Note AN219 (Using Microcontrollers in DSP Applications) where they demonstrate that their processors are lightly loaded in typical applications. That may be the way to go, too.

Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.