New member from Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been thinking about having a crack at some DIY audio gear for a while, have done a bit of research over the holidays, my googling brought me here.. seems like a good place to start and find info.

I want to build a simple stereo amplifier, and enclosures for some 2-3 inch full range drivers to use as a PC audio setup, and to learn a bit along the way.

Currently thinking the LM3886 stereo kit from chipamp with a volume control, and a set of 2 inch SB Acoustics or Scanspeak drivers, the enclosures i'll put together too. Having to put together a crossover for a 2 way speaker is probably beyond me at this point (something to aim for in the future though assuming i don't electrocute myself beforehand).

I guess i'll be dropping in with questions and reading historical posts to better understand what i'm doing. Am very happy to receive any advice from those willing to help. ie. does the above seem like a decent first time DIY option?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Janus and welcome to diyAudio. An LM3886 will be more than enough for a couple of computer speakers (with 2" to 3" drivers) I made some for my daughter using 4" SB midrange drivers and I estimate that they shouldn't be driven much more than 5 - 6W I hooked them up to my LM3886 (with no volume control) and something happened that sent the sound card volume very high. My goodness it was loud. Luckily the little speakers survived.

I decided I needed to make a lower powered amp to go with them (for direct driving, which I haven't yet done) ;) My daughter got rather a fright!

Tony.

Online research is only serving to confuse me with the amount I don't know. Having zero knowledge of electronics, I'm hoping for a basic project that will serve to teach me some basics as I go.

I found this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/160464-de-lite-amplifier.html

Can anyone comment if this looks like a good way to start, or alternatively point me in a better direction.

Best thing would be if I could sit down with someone for for 30-40 minutes and run through how the schematics on the Texas instruments websites work for the various chip amp circuits, but without knowing anyone with electronics knowledge personal, I can't see this happening. My goal of building a basic amp and speakers is getting a bit lost in my lack of understanding. I don't want to just buy a kit with paint by numbers type instructions that bypass the requirement for more knowledge than basic soldering.

I've read the info on a few chip amps, most of it I don't understand, I can't work out how to match the power output of the amp circuit to the speaker requirement. I understand the basics of voltage, resistance and current from online reading, and the relationship (ohms law). I understand how to calculate power, volts x current.
So the driver I want to use have power handling of 10w (100hr RMS noise test), and 20w (long term max power), and 8ohm impedance.
The LM1875 is quoted as 30w max, and 4A high current capability.
I'm struggling to match up these specs.
Lots of information not quite coming together in my head I'm afraid.
Maybe a chip amp is a bit ambitious for a first DIY build?

Maybe a chip amp is a bit ambitious for a first DIY build?

No, it would be a great place to start. I wouldn't expect to understand all the circuitry on the first build, though. 3116 seems a good chip, here's a big thread about it... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp.html I'm sure those guys would recommend a good board to use. The Pass De-Lite is a different sort of beast, I don't think those big incandescent bulbs are even available down under. You might also fill out your location (see how mine says Colorado) You might find someone local willing to share his knowledge.

Have fun with it

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes a chipamp is definitely a good place to start. If you feel up to doing all the soldering yourself you can get a kit rather than pre-built modules. edit: I should read more carefully I see you do want to do the job yourself.

Also with respect to power handling if you go with an 8 ohm speaker then you should be fine. A lower impedance speaker can draw more current which can be a problem for some chips. The part of the datasheet to look at is the graphs which show things like power vs impedance and voltage. Basically for most chipamps they have a finite power output limit. Power = Volts X Amps.

Lower impedance can draw more current at the same voltage.

So what you will generally find is that if you are driving lower impedance speakers, you need to drop the voltage level down or you will exceed the total power they chip can handle.

Another option would be the amp camp amp in the diyAudio store. Amp Camp Amp Complete Kit - Parts, Chassis, 2xPower Supplies - Amp Camp Kit - Kits

I've not personally seen or heard one of these, but they were specifically designed by Nelson Pass for beginners.

There is certainly no shortage of options!! :)

Tony.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Another option would be the amp camp amp in the diyAudio store.

I've not personally seen or heard one of these, but they were specifically designed by Nelson Pass for beginners.

I've not heard them yet, but they are very nicely put together. I have a pair here for audition.

An LMxxxx chipamp is a good place to start. Low parts count, nothing surface mount, more than a few good kits, and something that sounds quite decent -- i have a Peter Deniels one in my office. You can tailor them to lower impedances by choosing appropriate rail voltage (25-25 DCV)

dave

Would it be too much to think i can design the circuit to build myself (as part of the learning experience), or am i just better off learning from building a pre assembled kit?

Looking at some of the kits for sale, they're going to run me close to $300 delivered, which is more than i'm looking to spend on my first DIY effort, i was hoping to put together something for under $200 in total including speakers.
Maybe that's unrealistic?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.