I blame my son.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It started innocently enough. About a year ago my son (then 14y.o.) went into a used record store with his uncle. Something on top of one of the many cases of records caught his eye. A record player. A near-pristine Technics SL1200. He went home, researched it (@&#%% the internet), and decided he must have it. Pooled his money, borrowed a bit from us, and went back and bought it for a Franklin. But he had nothing to connect it to. So through our local freecycle I sourced a 90's era Pioneer system. Speakers were a little large for his room so I got him a pair of Beovox S-45 2s (also through freecycle) and I welded up some stands for him.

Fast forward to the present and we're now in the thick of building him an F5. I've now got the bug and while he's scheming to build a pair of speakers, I'm hatching a plan to build a pair of ACAs. And I heard from Santa's little helper that I might be getting a tube preamp kit for Christmas :)

I've got a lot to learn, and I'm glad I've found such a wonderful place to learn it.

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Ouch. At least only the Chassis was damaged! Could have been a lot worse I guess. It goes with the territory, no matter how experienced we are things sometimes go wrong. There will probably be a few letting the magic blue smoke out moments as well. I know there have been plenty of those over the years in my case :rolleyes:

Tony.

A good excuse to buy the right tool. I hate cutting aluminum on a table saw. Just a jigsaw for plate or a cutoff saw for angles. Or a demo saw for everything. :eek:

Have fun with it!

Hey, be sure your son (and yourself) reads all the safety threads around here. Welcome

Ouch. At least only the Chassis was damaged! Could have been a lot worse I guess. It goes with the territory, no matter how experienced we are things sometimes go wrong. There will probably be a few letting the magic blue smoke out moments as well. I know there have been plenty of those over the years in my case :rolleyes:

Tony.

Oh, the chassis piece wasn't damaged. The $70 is to replace the saw blade brake. The Saw Stop saw has a safety feature that stops the blade and lowers it below the table surface within microseconds of contacting skin (or anything conductive such as metal). The blade is stopped by a sacrificial aluminum brake assembly that is forced explosively into the blade. You can override the safety by turning a key while starting the motor, so you can cut conductive materials. I made about 3 cuts, then on the fourth I forgot to turn the key. I'll have to figure out a failsafe way to remind myself to override the safety, or this could become a VERY expensive amp :(

A good excuse to buy the right tool. I hate cutting aluminum on a table saw. Just a jigsaw for plate or a cutoff saw for angles. Or a demo saw for everything. :eek:

I prefer the TS for straight cuts; too much filing needed to clean up jigsaw cuts IMO. The jigsaw will come into play when it's time to cut the PASS logo into the top plate. I have a sliding compound miter saw, which we used to cut the heatsinks to length. I also have a bandsaw, but no blade suitable for aluminum.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Welcome to this site!

What a great way to spend time with your son. Really heartwarming to hear your story. Best of luck with all your projects and, you are right, this is the best place for info and help. Probably the best forum I have ever been a part of on the internet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.