Hi - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2002, 12:48 AM   #1
JohnG is offline JohnG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hi

After a hiatus of many years, I've regained an interest in audio electronics. My background is in power electronics, but I have a broad range of interests. My plan is to revamp my system, starting with amp, preamp, and speakers.

My current system consists of an old NAD CD player that I bought in 1987, a Crown SL-2 preamp, Dynaco ST-70 (recently restored), and Dahlquist M-905 2-way monitors. I also have a Heathkit AA-151 in the basement along with some Telefunken RB-70 speakers, and a portable CD player.

This forum is top-notch. I've learned a lot and hope to contribute as well.

John
Old 8th March 2002, 04:38 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Hi

Welcome :^)

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnG
Telefunken RB-70 speakers
What vintage are these? What drivers?

dave
Old 8th March 2002, 01:47 PM   #3
JohnG is offline JohnG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RB-70s

I'm not sure how old the RB-70s are, I'm guessing about thirty? They are 2-way acoustic suspension, with the cabinets densely packed with fiberglass. The woofer is about an 8", with Alnico magnet. The tweeter (mid-tweeter?) is a 4"x6" in a separate plastic subenclosure.

I was originally going to sell them on ebay, but I like them enough that I'm not willing to part with them just yet. I haven't given them any serious listening, but they have an spacious soundstage and are very clean-sounding.

John
Old 9th March 2002, 08:05 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: RB-70s

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnG
I'm not sure how old the RB-70s are, I'm guessing about thirty? They are 2-way acoustic suspension, with the cabinets densely packed with fiberglass. The woofer is about an 8", with Alnico magnet. The tweeter (mid-tweeter?) is a 4"x6" in a separate plastic subenclosure.
From the description of the insides, sounds like a set i just missed at one of the thrift shops. Those old alnicos can give stunning performance, but i suspect they aren't coming anywhere close to meeting their potential.

The 4x6 is probably a full-range rolled off on the bottom by the small box & a cap. The larger driver for giving a solid bottom. The 4x6s would probably really sing in an open baffle -- drive them with the Heath (appropriately tweaked up) and the bottom with the ST70. You could get away with appropriate RC filters between stages or a Passive Line Level XO in front.

dave
Old 9th March 2002, 08:06 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: RB-70s

Tell us about the Crown pre-amp, the only ones i'm familiar with were SS and they wern't very good.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!