Great to be here! Hello from Georgia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I just want to say how great it is for me to have found this site!
When I first got on the internet 7-10 years ago I dreamed of finding such a place. I do everything I can myself and have done so for as long as I can remember! From doing my own home and auto repairs to building my own engines, cars, computers, Audio equipment, etc...

A brief BIO:
In my pre teen years my father began teaching me basic electronics and by 10 I had built various devices from amplifiers to FM broadcast stations, everything I could was taken appart, made better, and put back together.
At age 12 I did a frame off restoration on a 1969 GMC C10 with my best friend and his father. (The DIY bug took hold for good at that point)
Since then I have built several cars, snowmobiles, and motorcycles.
Being from a family of musicians audio was a given interest.
reading Thiele and Small's theories were almost as important as knowing my scales and probably only second to OHM's law.

I don't know how many speaker enclosures I have been involved in building and or designing over the years. Some were great and some were not. I recall a few failures in our endeavor to create hypex curve baffeled dual 18" 1,000 watt subwoofer cabinets out of marine plywood. Hearing the cement walls breath for 30 seconds was seemingly a great moment until seeing the larger than man sized cabinets shake themselves appart meant another 2 weeks with the router, drills, saws, and glue.
Then again then instalation of AC power inverters to drive 3 15" peavy black widows, EQ, and 1,000 watt Hafler into the 1972 pontiac catalina trunk was a great victory for me. Back in 1982 in my small town I wasn't just the first anyone heard of to have mega power in my car I was also the first to blow out a rear window as a result. LOL
It wasn't untill 8-10 years later that the car audio bug caught on and by then I had moved on to other things for the most part. Still it was good to feel like the pioneer.

Anyway I learned my lesson early on in that I would rather do it myself 3 times to get it right than have to do over something I paid a "pro" to mess up. As a result I have become a sort of Jack of all trades/Master of only a few. I am no professor nor am I any sort of Einstien. Doing it all myself though has provided me with alot of experience in varrious fields.

I am all about doing it all yourself for less. I take great pride in knowing my $600 investment, alot of time, and patience gave me a home audio system with surroud sound loud enough to rattle all the windows and clear enough to hear the alien sneaking up from behind and to my right while playing HALO. (And the amp has never gone past 45% load)

I also think my favorite accomplishment was putting all of $1,200.00 and about 8 months into building a 1980 camarro that could push the 200mph mark, get 20 miles to the gallon, and blew the doors off even the most expensive sports cars.
Call it DIY, Ghetto, Cobjob, Better mechanics by the bigger hammer, or a mcguyverism. I love it and I am darned glad to have found a place where all people from all over the world of the same interest can come to share thoughts ideas and insight without fear of persicution, harassment, or inflated charges for information.

Thank you to all who participate and to those who create and maintian this board. I will do my best to show my thanks by helping as many people I feel I can with any pertinant/relivant experience or knowledge.

"The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked resulting in failure"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.